• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm Bushing

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 5 inch lifted, 33 inch tire Jeep I have the Rubicon express control arms on front axle. The forward lower arm has Johnny joints, all the others are rubber and rubber was shot.

I ordered new rubber joints, but only the lower rear are in stock.
Would it be recommended to place urethane bushings on the upper arms rather than rubber?

if so, Id have Urethane for both foward and rear upper bushings, and a johnny joint for forward lower and rubber for rear lower.

or should I try to get rubber for both ends of the upper arms.

Thanks!

I would avoid any poly in favor of rubber, your (old , not the new style) RE arms use factory bushings available anywhere.

Metal cloak makes great bushings that may fit all of your arms. I replaced my Johney Joints with Metal Cloak bushings. The problem with your set up is The Johney joint / rubber combo. You should stick with the same type of bushings or joints for both sides of the arms. When you have a johnie joint on one side and rubber on the other the rubber will wear fast because the Johnie Joint has no give.

Back