• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 closed system to 92 open system radiator conversion

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well my plastic sided 87 Rad has sprung a leak and if I have to replace the rad I may as well switch over to an open system one and get rid of the leaking pressure bottle. I have a pretty good link (has part #s ect)
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257864

I was just wondering if anyone here wanted to put their two cents in. I may go for a 2 core but, I am pretty easy on mine so a single core would probably do the trick just as well.

Don't buy the factory bent hoses. I converted my 89 over and the factory hoses that I bought didn't quite make any sense. Just buy regular coolant hose of the proper diameter and route it yourself, it's cheaper.

I got a GDI 3 core for mine when I did it. Worked great, never had any heating problems after that!!

two cents??

Stick with your closed system. Replace the radiator, and either buy a QUALITY pressure bottle (OEM or from gerroffroad.com) OR get the aluminum one from MACs radiator and never have to worry about it again.

The closed system is superior IMO except for the pressure bottle. (read this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=952147 on page 3 i talk about my experiences with the bottle from gerroffroad)

Either way DONT get a single core.

Do you drive fast alot and barely 4 wheel? Go 3 core.

Want to wheel alot (or drive slow)? Go with a 2 core.

Last edited:
what is the advantage of the closed system? I relpaced the oem p.o.s. with a 3 core brass & copper unit so I won't be converting any time soon, but I replaced the tank 4 years ago & now I will be replacing it again as it has a lot of cracks in it. at least I know about Q-Tec now. the dealer nicked me almost $80 for the last one. the only advantage I can see is you don't puke coolant. people tend to have very strong opinions about open v/s closed but no one ever seems to have an explanation why the closed system is superior.could you please enlighten me ?

Back