• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti lock brake

boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Wagoneer with an anti lock brake system. I would like to remove this, and was wondering if anyone had done this before and what it would involve. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

I have a 1990 Wagoneer with an anti lock brake system. I would like to remove this, and was wondering if anyone had done this before and what it would involve. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

You want to physically remove it and replace with standard brakes, or do you want to disable the ABS?

Pulling the ABS fuse would be the easiest way

Sure saves on the cost of parts. :D

Seriously, I was wondering if the OP is thinking of a snorkel and wants to pull the ABS system.

'90 has the original Bendix design (no?)

I think you have to physically remove all the ABS stuff and replace with standard vacuum assisted brakes to have a useable brake system.

This is interesting, my abs sucks and always has in both my jeeps. If I go over a bump whilst on the brakes I practically loose all brakes and have to release before reapplying. Also if I do happen to lock up/cause the abs to kick in I get a miniscule amount of braking resistance to the road surface through the wheels. Again to stop In the shortest distance it's better and more effective to release and reapply. Sorry to hijack but by simply pulling that relay will it simply cut the abs off without causing issues to my 97?

Shorty is correct.

Anyone who pulls the fuses on a Bendix ABS system is playing russian roulette with a three thousand pound vehicle.

On a 92 or later, you can just pull the ABS fuse and relay.

Further to the above, what I'm trying to say is with abs activated my jeep retains practically zero braking energy compared with other cars. Does that sound right for jeep, or have I got issues. And by pulling that relay would it cause issues that shorty touched on?

It could be that it just broke - the Bendix system was not known for reliability and in fact was so bad that Chrysler put a lifetime warranty on it, but that warranty consists of giving you a new cursed ABS system to replace the old. Best thing is just to remove it for good - www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm shows how.

i just did this to my 89. it had the complete bendix ABS junk. and it was totally locked up, meaning it barely had any brakes no matter how hard you pushed the pedal. i removed all the ABS equiptment, and removed the pedal assembly. then replaced the pedal assembly with a 95 and used the same 95 brake booster and master. it was a pretty easy swap. i got all the 95 stuff from a junk yard donor. i kept the short brake lines attached to the master and proportioning valve, which i also took from the 95. i ended up messing up the sealing area on the 95 prop. valve, so i reused the 89 prop valve which was identicle except for the mounting plate. the stock valve just hung there via the brake lines. it all worked great and had no fabrication needed.

Back