• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB PUMP

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I put my ARB air pump in the rear fender, above the wheel well inside, behind the interior panel. fits nice. this is an older single cylinder pump. Right now I have a hose that passes out into the cargo area for air hook up for tire fills. I am in process of making a fitting to place the air line disconnect inside the gas fill door. no more having to access the cargo hatch to get to my air connector.

I have been toying with a similar idea. I have a single cylinder ARB pump, but I think it is larger than the one you are working with. I have been thinking of mounting it down low inside the rear quarter panel. My biggest hesitation is the proximity of fuel vapors and an electric motor.

With regard to the fitting you are making, I found a brass bulkhead fitting at a good hardware store. They had them in both 1/4" and 3/8" FPT. Much like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MTFKD8/ref=twister_B076MQ8R9W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I considered fuel fumes too, none should be present in the area as the filler area is isolated from the interior spaces, even behind the trim panels, the fuel filler area is also well vented to under the jeep. The penetration into the filler area for my air hose will be thru a bulkhead fitting.

I have the ARB twin. Put it under the hood along with the manifold for the lockers and a hose QD. Ran a line to the rear and mounted a 3 gl tank at the stock spare location. I ran the line through a bulkhead fitting too. There is a perfectly sized rubber plugged hole just below the lower spare tire mount. Have another hose QD off the tank. Got to open the hatch to get the hose out anyway. I like the idea mounting the QD behind the filler door.

I installed 2) MV-50 compressors in this area, quick connect through the plastic cover, my sliders serve as a tank.

We think alike.

I have also been considering building my sliders as tanks with a quick connect tucked up along the inside of each one so that I could easily air back up with a fairly short hose, each slider serving for the tires on its side.

We think alike.

I have also been considering building my sliders as tanks with a quick connect tucked up along the inside of each one so that I could easily air back up with a fairly short hose, each slider serving for the tires on its side.

In the end the extra work involved to make the sliders air tight and the minimal storge volume, probably 2.5 gal it really wasn't worth the effort.
For someone running ARB lockers it would be great but that person is not me.

With a leak tight locker, and hoses, fittings, you dont need much in air tankage. I run for a longtime with locker on with out need for pump to turn on.

With the pint sized pump tank, my compressor runs full time for 70 seconds to 100 seconds to air up each tire. This gives us time to stretch, clean the windows, reattach the swaybar before getting on the highway. from the trail.

I dont now have a need for a big tank. But if I do, Id tank the rock slider! That is a cool solution.

Ive tanked a rear bumper before. got about 2.7 gal air capacity out of it.Pain to drain, and just promotes rust. in the end i put a 2.5 gal tank on the rear shock crossmember, good free space if your running shock hoops.

I have it all out now to re-do the air system with a much needed upgrade to stuff that was built in the past 20 years. my current delima is what compressors to run. I have a viair 400 and 450 sitting around along with a few smittybilt big compressors. Currently i have a SB compressor mounted to a 2.5gal tank for a portable setup thats been running strong for the past 8 years. Im thinking of maybe doing the SB combined with the 450 and have them switched so the 450 is more for constant use due to its 100% duty cycle , then use the SB . so say 85on/105 off for the SB and then a 110on/145off for the 450.

also have some little dual head 7 cfm compressor ive been playing with that really shines at low pressures.

Back