• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caster question

JMOliver

NAXJA Forum User
New everything under my xj, new 4.5 re superflex kit with acos. ( sitting at 6.5” front and back ) re control arm drop with supports, re heavy duty trackbar with trackbar bracket and cross support. New drive shaft rear ( fronts ordered, stocks in now ) new front upper bushings in axle, all tie rods and ball joints good, new 760 ujoint a in axle shafts, steering is still stock, that’s next thing.

My Jeep wonders back and forth in a straight driving line , had alignment check and two different shops and toe is right ( 1/8 toe )

Here’s my question would the caster be my problem? I’m at 3.5 positive, drive shafts 1 degree below so I have no vibes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with lifting is you end up adjusting your caster to fix driveline vibes.

Optimal is around 6* at ride height.

I doubt the caster is your issue, I've been running 3* for 15yrs without iissue! I would be looking at all your TRE's and steering box, all your TRE's may be new but are they good ones?

3.5 * caster is very acceptable. 6* would be better but 3.5 should be fine.

At 4.5" of lift and 3.5 degrees caster my XJ wanders on uneven road especially in ruts on paved road that are used frequently by large heavily loaded trucks,...when it is wet, it is a constant battle to keep it going in a straight line.

On smooth level surfaces it is good. IMHO another degree, i.e. 4.5 or even 5 degrees should be the (my) target.

Oh! I agree with Cal, 6 degrees should be perfect. I doubt my XJ will like that number.

What size and type of tires are installed ? And, as already suggested, what is the age and condition of the current steering parts ?

Tires are shot! Picked up some old 35s Mtrs for front and swampers on back they came with the wheels, just throwed them on to see if jeep could handle the 35s. Got a new set of 31s on rims In Garage. About to get some Mtrs from a friend, also it did this with the 31s, I adjusted steering box today and helped some. I did notice my box has about a 1/16th of play in output, so upgraded box is next

b7901f0533e9b2ac5cece1b59445a983.jpg
got the redneck tire package for the moment

Tire size, inflation, AND condition are critical to a alignment! What tires were on it when it was at the alignment shop? I run 265/75/16 C's with a corrected pressure of 28 front/26 rear.

Back