• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxiliary Radiator

Rockwood

NAXJA Forum User
Lot's of talk about radiators, but one of the problems that the XJ has is just not a lot of real estate in the nose (good for rock crawling) to mount a sufficiently large radiator. Over on Pirate4x4, on of the guys who was selected to run Ultimate Adventure 2017 added a second heater core to his motor to add some surface area.

Since my XJ has little clearance between the radiator and mechanical fan (making a multi-core radiator unlikely), and my results with an electric fan have been sub-par at best, has anyone had any success with running something like this:

https://www.mishimoto.com/heavy-duty-transmission-cooler-kit-electric-fan.html

MMOC-F_1.png

In the heater core loop? The only problem I see if overcooling when it's cold, even if the fan is off.

Damn no edit. Thought would be to mount it low and out of the way where it can draw fresh-ish air (which would probably be more fresh than behind 2 coolers, a winch and the AC condensor like mine currently is).

I guess if that math checks out it will work. Most would shoot this down. There are a number of “high performance” radiators (if you will) by themselves that get the job done. Cal is currently testing two of the many choices for a radiator that performs well in adverse conditions.

For that specific example I feel the fluid is going to travel to fast through the radiator that it won’t cool down fluid much. The tubes on radiators are a fraction of the diameter than an oil cooler for a reason. I’m no expert though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have the same effect as turning the heat on while overheating, so it would help. You'd probably have to plumb it inline with the heater core or have a separate water pump. Plumbing it inline with the main radiator might cause too much backpressure that the HP requirements would go up enough (backside of the belt) that you'd wear out other bearings in any of the accessories. You can get fluid coolers rated for the flow, but they'll be as much $$ as a 2-core XJ radiator. Or you could just shift the radiator forward a little bit and at least fit a 2-core. Why is your's so close? There is a whole list of things that can be done to improve cooling. What have you done so far?

I guess if that math checks out it will work. Most would shoot this down. There are a number of “high performance” radiators (if you will) by themselves that get the job done. Cal is currently testing two of the many choices for a radiator that performs well in adverse conditions.

For that specific example I feel the fluid is going to travel to fast through the radiator that it won’t cool down fluid much. The tubes on radiators are a fraction of the diameter than an oil cooler for a reason. I’m no expert though.

Didn't think of fluid speed. The reason I'm considering this is the stock coolant loop recirculates hot coolant back into the motor. Wheel to wheel racing 90s Nissans (which used an almost identical coolant loop for the heater/thermostat bypass), I learned that getting rid of that coolant loop solved problems that no amount of radiator could fix (at one point, we had fitted a Griffin 3" road racing core for a Mustang 5.0 and still had temp issues with our 2.0L 200hp all aluminum 4-banger). We were also able to run a much more aggressive timing curve since head temps were lower.

Since this is a vehicle where a heater is useful, my thought was installing a heat exchanger on this loop so the motor was no longer recirculating 220* coolant. The fan would be slaved to the existing fan control to reduce the potential for overcooling. A little cooling here goes a long way and is probably more effective than a larger radiator since you can't really increase area, just volume, and the hotter coolant in this loop will shed heat faster.

It would have the same effect as turning the heat on while overheating, so it would help. You'd probably have to plumb it inline with the heater core or have a separate water pump. Plumbing it inline with the main radiator might cause too much backpressure that the HP requirements would go up enough (backside of the belt) that you'd wear out other bearings in any of the accessories. You can get fluid coolers rated for the flow, but they'll be as much $$ as a 2-core XJ radiator. Or you could just shift the radiator forward a little bit and at least fit a 2-core. Why is your's so close? There is a whole list of things that can be done to improve cooling. What have you done so far?

Things done so far:

ZJ clutch
New OEM radiator
Hood vents
Brown dog motor mounts (to keep from eating another radiator)

It's close because the previous owner of this Jeep liked the sauce and attempted to defy physics. The passenger side of the front clip is pushed back juuuuust enough that the fan clutch is 1/2" or so away from the stock-sized radiator. Figured this out when I pulled a stock fan blade from a junkyard (when I went E-fan, I tossed the stock stuff, whoops) and saw how much more room there was.

That being said, my Jeep generally stays cool enough (215-220*) so long as I don't try to run 2WD too much at lower speeds (lunchboxed front/rear make 4LO annoying when not rock crawling). I have had to shut down the AC and crank the heater climbing a steep fireroad in 2WD. Maybe I'll just get a 2LO kit instead. :D

And yes, plan would be to install in-line to the heater hoses. Will probably re-bend the inlet to the water pump to point downwards so I can mount it behind the stock front "crossmember" and minimize tight bends.

BTW: when I eliminated the coolant loop on the road race car, we were able to completely block off the upper grilled and go back to the stock replacement racing radiator (rather than the honking Griffin job).

I recommend taking a look at what Cal is doing with his radiator review. If your XJ really runs hot after a radiator upgrade you may have a cracked head or broken head gasket.

A good fan clutch and a larger radiator has always kept the 3 XJs I’ve had cool.

I recommend taking a look at what Cal is doing with his radiator review. If your XJ really runs hot after a radiator upgrade you may have a cracked head or broken head gasket.

A good fan clutch and a larger radiator has always kept the 3 XJs I’ve had cool.

Would love to...

But the tweaked front would guarantee overheating from coolant loss after the clutch eats the radiator under load. 2 previous radiators can attest.

How many miles on the engine? If it's north of 100k, your timing chain is probably junk. Check it, it can cause the engine to run hotter than normal also.

Cal isn't doing much right now.

At the moment uploading photos so update a couple of threads, but it turns out no amount of radiator will keep your engine cool when you crack a head and pump the coolant through your cam bearings.

I do have a lot of interesting pictures (not of my failed engine) to share.

To the OP, i think there are a lot better ways to fix your cooling problem than this, but i'm not going to say don't try it.

I will say to get a stacked plate cooler and not a tube and fin, though. That won't remove enough heat.

Cal isn't doing much right now.

At the moment uploading photos so update a couple of threads, but it turns out no amount of radiator will keep your engine cool when you crack a head and pump the coolant through your cam bearings.

I do have a lot of interesting pictures (not of my failed engine) to share.

To the OP, i think there are a lot better ways to fix your cooling problem than this, but i'm not going to say don't try it.

I will say to get a stacked plate cooler and not a tube and fin, though. That won't remove enough heat.

Roger. The Mishimoto one was posted just because it was a convenient picture. I guess I'm a bit leery of spending money on yet another radiator that may/may not get eaten while I'm in the middle of the Mojave... :D

In really short, I highly recommend the Mishimoto and some upgraded motor mounts.

In long, watch my build thread and the radiator review thread.

In really short, I highly recommend the Mishimoto and some upgraded motor mounts.

In long, watch my build thread and the radiator review thread.

I have Brown Dog mounts and there's less a thumb's width of clearance between my fan clutch and stock dimension radiator. I tried repositioning the drivetrain to move it away from the radiator, but this just killed rear mounts due to twist (I had to use a come-along to twist the transfer case mount to bolt on).

So, it's either buy a new Jeep (sadly, I had already welded in 2x6 rockers and frame stiffeners when I discovered this), attempt to straighten the core support, or add an auxiliary radiator to take advantage of some dead space in the nose of the Jeep.

On the KOH XJ, we cut the mounts off of the bottom of the radiator and moved them 3/4", and then redrilled the holes on the top - pushing the entire radiator 'forward' 3/4" to clear the bigger cores.

I don't have time to go looking for the exact post, but its in here:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075100

Hmm. I'll have to look into that. Given that I've got a winch right in front (for max approach angle) of a PS and Trans cooler in front of an air conditioning condenser in front of the radiator, there may not be much room to work with.

I had to shave the inside of the grill bezel to make it fit, but it all fit.

Back