• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clifford cast aluminum valve cover?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
A few months back, I scored a Clifford 4.0 cast aluminum valve cover on the cheap ($40)... Seems to be a high-rise for more aggressive valvetrain.

clifford_01.jpg

clifford_02.jpg

Based on the PCV/breather and oil filler locations, I'm guessing it was originally designed for the TJ.

Anyone know much about these? I can't find a *SINGLE* bit of info online about it, but would love to know more.

...I also need to figure out how I'm going to attach the throttle cable bracket/guide to it, but that may not be that important.

Given your experience in this arena... Would it be wiser for me to run my original 2001 stamped valve cover (with the internal baffles for valvetrain lubrication) than this older cast one? I'm waiting on Comp to grind a modified 68-201-4 (same specs but with 113° LSA instead of 110°)... meaning only slightly more lift than stock (0.447"), using stock rockers. Seems like this cover is unnecessary (beyond aesthetics), and the stock/original one should work well enough (and possibly provide better valvetrain lubrication?).

I can't say that I know anything either way there. Either is probably fine.

You can use either the early cork gasket or the late rubber gasket with either cover.

Is the felpro gasket different? -- I had both the aluminum valve cover and a steel one when I did my engine swap and the felpro gasket wasn't even close with the aluminum cover

I didn't look real hard but thought I had read on here that I had no gasket option with the aluminum cover

My mistake...

Has nothing to do with brand.
Up thru ..95? It's. Cork gasket and aluminum cover, then rubber and steel.

But either works with the other just fine.

I was working on a 2000 XJ with a swapped motor from a 98 grand

Don't remember which one had the cast Aluminum valve cover -- my guess was the 98 grand and I had to pull the steel one off the 2000 to make it work with the gasket

I don't know what issue you ran into, but I have run both covers with both gaskets, with no problems.

Back