• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnny Joints

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone here have personal experience running JJ's on the axle side ?
If so, did you find the difference from Clevite in ride quality noticeable or ???

I know the passenger side is not a direct drop in, the required fab on the mount and enlarging the holes in the control arms to 1/2" is a non issue.

I currently have JJ's at 6 of the 8 connections on Rokman arms and my axle side bushings need to be replaced so I'm thinking WTH, 2 more JJ's is no big deal.....or is it ?

i killed upper axle bushings every few months with my radius arm setup. went to JJ and its been fine for two years now. i didnt notice any change in ride quality other than the bushings not going to shit. I got a little more droop with the bad bind eliminated. I still have rubber lowers.

I would do it again.

I have the iro 3 link so rubber on the lower axle side but I installed the JJ on the single upper axle side. It's held up great for 1.5 years and 7k miles..... Wish I had more proving time for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't speak for JJ's, but my RE Superflex joints are going on 20yrs. I even bought rebuild kits a couple yrs ago ago but didn't need them!

No, I run a radius arm set-up, so I only run them on the main arms and the back of the uppers. I did need to replace all the axle side(s) a couple yrs ago.

No, I run a radius arm set-up, so I only run them on the main arms and the back of the uppers. I did need to replace all the axle side(s) a couple yrs ago.

Back to the question..........

"Anyone here have personal experience running JJ's on the axle side ?"

I will add.......... with 4 short arms not 3 link, not radius not ______ 0r ______

With a 4 link or radius arm u need a clevite style joint in at least one point in the suspension. If everything is hiems or Johnny joints the suspension will bind and the track bar pulls that axle left and right resulting in cracked or bent brackets. 3 link should use all Johnny joints or hiems.

With a 4 link or radius arm u need a clevite style joint in at least one point in the suspension. If everything is hiems or Johnny joints the suspension will bind and the track bar pulls that axle left and right

Can you explain the reason ?

Can you explain the reason ?

its not so much the track bar as it is the inherent bind of a 4 link or radius arm design.

as the suspension articulates (one side compressing, the other going into droop) the arms on one side of the axle are trying to drive the pinion down while the other side is trying to drive the pinion up. without the "give" of a bushing, youll start to rip mounts.

to visualize what im talking about... make two peace signs with your hands. now point them away from you. then role one wrist down, and one wrist up.

I'm with you but given that each JJ is capable of 30 degrees of articulation (60* total per arm) are you saying a vucanized rubber bushing can deflect more than that ?

Your talking about torsional flex, the issue is "forward/backwards" movement.

Exactly.

its not so much the track bar as it is the inherent bind of a 4 link or radius arm design.

as the suspension articulates (one side compressing, the other going into droop) the arms on one side of the axle are trying to drive the pinion down while the other side is trying to drive the pinion up. without the "give" of a bushing, youll start to rip mounts.

to visualize what im talking about... make two peace signs with your hands. now point them away from you. then role one wrist down, and one wrist up.

Back