• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame stiffener question

chillman88

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm new here and hope this is in the right place.

I'm working on a 95 and it's pretty rusty. I've started plating a couple small spots on the frame but I'd like to get a set of HD Offroad frame stiffeners and just go over the whole thing.

My real question is, is there a specific reason nobody offers a plate for the INSIDE of the main rails? Is it just because it's not needed for the vast majority of rigs? Mine isn't completely shot but I would like to plate the whole thing. I wanted to make sure there wasn't some reason I shouldn't plate the inside.

Would I be better off just getting a channel bent up at work and going right over top of the rails with 10ga?

Yes I really should just track down a cleaner XJ but that's not in the budget right now and I really don't want one newer than 95 anyway. Besides, there's only 92k miles on this one, and I've got a lot more time than money.

Thanks,
--Chris

Well, the plating on the outside is enough to accomplish the task......

Also, when you start plating the inner side of the frame rails, you start getting into tons more interference with fuel/brake lines, wires, mounts, potential clearance issues, etc.....not to mention doing so would require a complete disassembly of the workings of the jeep to weld them in....something most people won't do.

Frame stiffeners are to add strength, not replace missing metal. While they can be used for such, that isn't really the intent.

Well, the plating on the outside is enough to accomplish the task......

Also, when you start plating the inner side of the frame rails, you start getting into tons more interference with fuel/brake lines, wires, mounts, potential clearance issues, etc.....not to mention doing so would require a complete disassembly of the workings of the jeep to weld them in....something most people won't do.

Frame stiffeners are to add strength, not replace missing metal. While they can be used for such, that isn't really the intent.

I would say this nails it.

Thank you. That was pretty much my assumption but I wanted to make sure nobody had done it and found a reason NOT to (IE frame rails not having enough give and ripping from the floor in an off road situation)

I understand the issue with the lines and mounts. Didn't look TOO bad on the drivers side where the primary issue is except for the lines.

Thanks for the insight.

Thank you. That was pretty much my assumption but I wanted to make sure nobody had done it and found a reason NOT to (IE frame rails not having enough give and ripping from the floor in an off road situation)

I understand the issue with the lines and mounts. Didn't look TOO bad on the drivers side where the primary issue is except for the lines.

Thanks for the insight.

drivers side also has the t-case linkage.....

Back