• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box Size

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,I have a 1990XJ 5 inch lift, 33 inch offroad Goodyear Wrangler tires. ARB locker up front, 4.11 diff ratio, 4.1 Atlas II transfercase, Currie 9 inch rear. I Plan on 100s of miles of trails. Rocky trails in Death Valley, overlanding, etc...

I am replacing the steering gear and pump.

My old set up was an AGR gearbox pn 262352. I got a replacement and to my surprise it is smaller diameter gearbox, about 3/8 inch diameter smaller, and 3 mounting ears rather than 4 although only 3 were used on the old gearbox The new gearbox is AGR pn 225352.

Should I be ok the smaller gearbox or sick with larger? Pro's and Con's of each?

What is the advice please?

Here are the AGR links to the two gearboxes. You can see the new box sent to me is smaller, and more of a street race type per the description for the 225352, which is stamped on the new gearbox. The old gearbox is more of heavy duty type, an AGR 262352. Which is best for my XJ? I was told by vendor I could try the new gearbox and exchange it later for the one I ordered. (he knows I am in a time constraint for going on a trip).

Also the new box does not have the billet top cover as described for the 225352 part number, rather it is a stock cast cover.

So it seems to me this is a down grade for an offroad Jeep. It may work for me on my upcoming trip, but down the road, or trail, will it be as reliable, as strong as the bigger old gearbox I have?

Please see descriptions in links below

NEW BOX.....
http://www.steerco.com/SearchResults...225352&Submit=

OLD BOX....
http://www.steerco.com/SearchResults...262352&Submit=

Also I have pump 816256...

http://www.steerco.com/SearchResults...816256&Submit=

Have you spoke with AGR? That would seem to be the place to start with all your questions.

Yes, The owner called me back after closing hours. He will let me install it and try it, as he knows I am in a time constraint for a off road trip. They will take it back if it doesnt work out for me. That is good service.

But my question remains, for my rig, with big tires, front locker, will this
smaller unit serve me well long term?

It is not as beefy as the large unit, does not have the billet top cover. Now I dont care about bling, but my understanding is a billet top cover verses cast is stronger, and the cover supports the top of the pitmam arm.

It may work fine at first, but maybe wear faster, or break under use.

I read about folks upgrading to a Dodge Durango gearbox, but do not know if that is a bigger unit or not. There is little info on the interweb for advice on our XJ steering gears.

Can someone here school me on this?

What do you all run and with what tires, and front end?

My understanding is big tires, and or front lockers require upgraded steering gear and pump. I have both these, 33 inch offroad tires, not all terrains, but knobby offroad tires, and an ARB front locker.

THANK YOU!

The Durango has a larger bore box to give extra assist. A bigger box will be harder on steering components and add more stress to the frame rail. Unless the sector shaft is larger it'll probably all wear out the same. If you're worried go to hydro assist. It will lessen the load on the box and frame while having good assist. Mine will be going that route. Mine is currently 33s locked stock box and pump and works good enough.

Yes, The owner called me back after closing hours. THANK YOU!

You had AGR on the phone and you didn't ask what the differences are?

Ratio?
Any size difference in the worm/sector?
Any spool valve size difference/valving?

Back