• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock leaf springs

XJ01-08

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My Old man emu springs are starting to feel a bit too soft now, IROs seem like a good deal but was wondering if anybody has any feedback on how long they last and hold up.
Its either these or Ill just have to bite the bullet and get some deavers.

I have ran at various heights: rancho, procomp, procomp/rancho bastard pack, skyjacker, deaver, and now RE 5.5.

most happy with the deaver and RE. had to go away from deaver since i needed more height as i was almost sitting on my air bumps even with a shackle drop and 6" shackle. I was a little shocked with the RE springs as they were longer than the deavers and i had to move my shackle back farther which required major bumper trimming on my setup. Ive had them on for a few years and have been very happy with the ride on and off road. Definitely more height than the deavers, ride totally shocked me for an off the shelf spring. They work well with the 14" travel shocks and air bumps.

I have ran at various heights: rancho, procomp, procomp/rancho bastard pack, skyjacker, deaver, and now RE 5.5.

most happy with the deaver and RE. had to go away from deaver since i needed more height as i was almost sitting on my air bumps even with a shackle drop and 6" shackle. I was a little shocked with the RE springs as they were longer than the deavers and i had to move my shackle back farther which required major bumper trimming on my setup. Ive had them on for a few years and have been very happy with the ride on and off road. Definitely more height than the deavers, ride totally shocked me for an off the shelf spring. They work well with the 14" travel shocks and air bumps.

About how much longer are the RE springs than the OEM (or the Deaver's)? The OEM springs that are on my XJ are 50" eye to eye. Are the IRO springs longer? I need to replace the 22 year old springs on my XJ. The IRO set is my preference with the Berlin Eye and Military wrap.

It seems to me that when I installed my IRO leaf springs they were longer, and left me with a crappy shackle angle on my 3/4” longer shackles. I got my hands on some HD off-road engineering shackle relocation brackets to solve that problem. I wouldn’t try to install them on stock shackles, and I recommend some kind of shackle relocation system. I haven’t put any kind of mileage on them, so I haven’t got any feedback to give you in that respect. They are significantly more substantial than stock leaf packs, beefier, and obviously heavier with more leaves. The website says 10% stiffer than stock, but they feel stiffer than that. My basis for comprising is flawed, however, as my stock springs were pretty worn and noodley when they were yanked out.

I had to move the shackle mount back one hole on my HDE drop brackets. im also running the RE boomerang shackles. So i wanted to say about an inch longer than the deavers, much longer at compression as well. I want to say RE says theirs are 52.5" eye to eye but that gets longer once the vehicle has some weight on them. RE uses an encapsulated rubber bushing, standard eyes on each end.

I dont know anything about the IRO springs but looks like they use poly bushings, same as deaver, i normally stay away from poly.

How tall do you want to be that you cant get there with Deavers? 4" for the leaf, 1.5" for the shackle, 1" for the shackle relocation.

If you need more than that Deaver can add lift to the springs for you.

Back