• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Brake Booster Upgrade

rws

NAXJA Forum User
It seems many on this forum have done this upgrade with good results. I have two questions: 1) The booster comes off a 1996 XJ but does it matter if it has ABS or is there no difference between ABS and non-ABS boosters? 2) The flare fittings at the 1996 master cylinder are 3/16 line with a "bubble" flare or are they standard SAE flares? Thanks

Yes, it *DOES* matter if it's got ABS or not. I suspect you'll want the one without.

The 95 booster I installed came with metric ports, not SAE. I picked out a pair of adapters from the box behind the counter to convert the metric to SAE.

I checked out the write-up on MADXJ, great site with tons of good info., but he didn't mention to use an ABS booster or a non-ABS booster.

I have a 95 with ABS.I just finished doin this swap on my brother in laws 87.We used a booster outta a wrecked 95 without ABS.The boosters are the same between ABS & non ABS.We also used a 01 TJ master cyl.Hope this helps.

I agree with xjspider - the booster and master cylinders are the same, according to the parts guy at my local stealership anyway. Since it's not directly part of the ABS pump system, it doesn't appear to matter. Let me know how you get on though, as I'm looking to swap a booster & MC from an ABS XJ into my non-ABS one.

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing this mod. after hunting season is over. I just needed to know what to get from the pick-pull before the snow started to fly.

I really am not one to hijack threads so I appologize, but I do have a question. I have a '95 Country non abs 4.0l/AW4 and apparently I have the better brake booster. My question is this--Is it really that much better than the older XJs? I havent driven an older one in a long time to compare the two. My brakes seem to work pretty well but nothing all that spectacular. Are the old brakes really poor or something? Sorry to get off subject.

!990 MJ - new pads,new calipers,flushed system (new brake fluid) new flex hoses,clean and adjust rear brakes (dana 44 with the the big drums), a few new hard lines, good pedal, no leaks, etc. The system works as it should but the braking power is marginal at best.

Okay man, you do not have ot change the pedal rod! I ddi this in my '89 and there's a few things you can do...

Option 1, it's on MadXJ, getting the later style brake lamp switch. if you have cruise control you will have to ditch it in order to do this option, the newer brake lamp switch fits in place of the cruise control vacuum cut off switch.

Option 2, modify the new pedal rod. What you have to do to retain the Renix brake lamp switch is ream out the center hole in the pedal rod and then grind a flat on the leading edge of the rod, you will see when you get the two boosters side by side. I took this route as I watned to keep my (non functional!) cruise control. I can get some pictures of the mod for you if you need, got them on my home computer.

Sequoia

I just used a newer brake switch and eliminated the renix (ford) switch all together.

wanna know why? because the original one was crap I tell ya! CRAP!!

I might get in a little trouble for this, but oh well...

I've got the entire brake assembly from a '96 that I'll gladly sell you if you're interested. Non-ABS complete with the booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. It's a little dirty for my taste right now, so I'll clean it up before it's sold. It needs a master cylinder cap. PM me if you're interested with an offer - I have no idea what to ask for it.

bb2.jpg

bb1.jpg

Back