• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just starting out - Advice Pls

PalmettoOne

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my 98 XJ Limited since 30k miles - sow she's at 215k ! Interested in doing trail driving like you guys do. I'm all new to this...so what modifications should I do to the Jeep to get started? Now I'm not interested in any rock crawling...still need the old girl for daily driving. Thanks in advance!

I'll be the outlier here, but it sounds like a good set of AT tires the same size you already have would be just fine. These things were meant to play offroad from the factory floor. Lot's of us make the mods because that's as much of a hobby as is actually wheeling these things.

Try to find a set of 4.10 axles and swap them in, then lift it about 3 inches and get some 30" tires. That will get you down every green trail on the planet and a lot of the blues too, won't rub on articulation, and still pretty simple to deal with.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd follow ehall's advice. I went to 3.5" and 31s and it started a chain reaction of modifications. Your stock leaf springs are probably shot - new ones will do a lot in the lift department. As far as rubbing -a new front bumper can do wonders for both approach/departure angles, rubbing on trim, and will give you a recovery point in the event you get in over your head. Check out the JCR crusader front bumper, I love it and it painted up nicely to match body color (if you are OCD like me). Sway bar disconnects will give you cheap gains in articulation.

I've had my 98 XJ Limited since 30k miles - sow she's at 215k ! Interested in doing trail driving like you guys do. I'm all new to this...so what modifications should I do to the Jeep to get started? Now I'm not interested in any rock crawling...still need the old girl for daily driving. Thanks in advance!

Welcome! XJ's are a great platform from the factory to get you tons of places. Obviously as the level of difficulty increase so does that amount of modification entailed. Assuming yours is healthy as is, a basic lift, and some 31's with 4.11's does wonders, add in LSD's and you'll be set to tackle just about anything. Really your options come down to budget and then mechanical skills. How much are you wanting to spend?

No big limit on spending....but I gotta behave. Keep in mind that I'm a old retired dude just looking for something new to do. Had to give up off road motorcycles years ago...and now ww kayaking...so mebbe the jeep is safer than those hobbies!

Thanks everyone. I'm a 70ish retiree looking for a new hobby/sport. Budget is within reason...wife makes me behave. Can't kayak rapids any more...besides...Jeep ought to be a lot more comfortable!!

As stated above, your rear springs are probably sagging which you can use as excuse to get new ones. Get some HD leaf packs and that is most of the lift in the rear you need. Keep the lift height to a bare minimum for your intended tire size. Doing so will help avoid some of the problems associated with lifting such as steeper driveline angles and death wobble. install skid plates, quick discos, aftermarket bumpers, and tow points all around to go with 31 inch tires and you will have a very nice vehicle.

If everything on your front end is good you should not get death wobble. What is your intended terrain/use? You will get a lot of different answers here, and what you expect to use it for will help us give you a better direction to go.

Gosh...dunno where this thing is gonna go. I'm figuring moderate trail running...no mudding/rock climbing. Just wanna use the old girl for what she was made for. Get out...have a bit of fun...but still be able to drive her on Monday!

Personally, I would stay away from add-a-leafs for a vehicle that is approaching twenty years old. If your leafs are worn then the AAD's will fatigue quickly.

Like the "sagging springs" excuse...that will get me past the wife's harsh accounting system!
A former member bought the Old Man Emu 2-inch lift, said the ride was better than stock. Maybe going that route would make the results quantifiable. :)

NAXJA013.jpg

I'd get new springs - add a leaf is not going to fix the fact that the original springs are shot. Old Man Emu has great leaf packs and shocks. They are also meant for rigs that are loaded down, in case you want to do any camping.

I just want to add that a lot of what you do depends on your skill set, tools/space available, and how long your Jeep can be out of commission during modifications. There are a lot of guys on this forum with heeps of everything above - they have Jeeps that are not DD, garage space to work on them, and skills that really humble you. I am amazed at what they can do, and continually learn from their posts. However, if you either cannot go a few days-weeks without a functional vehicle, lack the skills or budget to accomplish them, then some of the more complicated modifications might be out of your reach. For example, if you go more than 3" you are going to need a slip yoke eliminator (SYE - shortens the bit coming out of the transfer case to decrease the driveshaft to rear differential angle) and a new driveshaft. Add to that regearing (much advised), and you have some significant time and money investments.

I am saying all of this because while I have had 4x4s my whole life, I did not have any experience going into my XJ project. My biggest advice is to keep in mind that once you make one modification, a chain of events is set in place that will require more modifications. I started where you were a year ago with a stock, saggy rear end XJ. A year later and about $5500 in quality parts, I have exactly the rig I wanted.

Just to share a photo of the result:

Is a three inch lift gonna give me the "death wobble" at interstate speeds???

Shouldn't have any issues with death wobble on 3". Can it happen, yes but if your proactive with getting good parts under your rig and making sure everything is installed right chance go down drastically. I run 3.5" lift on 33's and have no issues driving around town.

Let's say you budget 5k that should be enough to have a very capable rig that will still be comfortable.

-Lift: OME is a great choice
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/22-5-inch-ultimate-xj-old-man-emu-hybrid-kit-2/
-I would either swap a ford 8.8 in the rear (find one with Disc brakes and a LSD) OR add a LSD to the rear of your current axle. 8.8 can be had cheap and are a great upgrade.
-Regear to 4.11's, great gear combo for 31's and daily driving
-Get a front bumper with winch mount
-Get a winch
-Swap in a ZJ v8 tie rod or get an aftermarket one.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10194.html
-Pick wheels and tires, I would stick with an AT tread for comfort and road noise.

There are still tons of other little things to add in, brake lines, steering, cooling, charging, etc, but the above should be more than enough.

Back