• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Sensor, Which type?

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1990 4.0 liter XJ, my oil pressure sensor has stopped working, I need to replace it. Are there know good or known bad brands of the oil pressure sensor, if so which ones are good, or bad?

Thanks

Can't help you on a 90 but I will say be careful. A shop put in a non Mopar on my 98 and it read low. Swapped it for OEM and it matched the mechanical.

You can find standard brand unit at O'reilly napa etc.

Of all the ones I've ever put on a 4.0, the Mopar one shit the bed the fastest. Didn't even make it 6 months. Standard is probably okay, looks just like the BWD one I replaced the Mopar with which has been going fine for 4+ years now.

Of all the ones I've ever put on a 4.0, the Mopar one shit the bed the fastest. Didn't even make it 6 months. Standard is probably okay, looks just like the BWD one I replaced the Mopar with which has been going fine for 4+ years now.

Luck of the draw, I'd bet. For an oil pressure sender that makes sense, the mechanism in them is extremely simple but sort of fragile. I'd bet a properly calibrated aftermarket one is just as good at least initially. I'd just make sure to test with a mechanical gauge and make sure the new part matches then run it.

The weird thing was that it didn't fail and then just sit at 0 psi like others...it stuck somewhere between 50-60 psi and then never moved again.

That makes sense. There is a little ribbon that deflects under pressure in the sensor, which alters its resistance. If that breaks I think you get no signal and 0 pressure, but if it gets stuck, it could be in any position but intact and "hold" a pressure reading.

the one on my '98 started failing slowly. Reading a little low at first, then gradually got worse with every time I started it.

It's been a while but I got whatever they had at Auto Zone, dont remember buying the "premium" brand. Been working for 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only other thing I would add is for the love of god get a mechanical gauge and verify if yours starts reading low. Mine did, and I started thickening my oil as a result. I may have hastened the demise of parts of my last engine as a result. Huge regret as I had maintained that engine very well over its lifetime.

The Standard and BWD look alike because they are. Standard motor product and BWD are indeed the same company.

I've had the best luck in the past with mopar sensors.

Back