• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Bushing Thought

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
I have found that with my laid down shackle angle combined with the length of the shackle and the overall range of motion of the shackle from full droop to full bump, the oem clevite style (Moog) bushings get twisted up and don't live a very long life.

I know poly does not offer the lateral deflection that clevite does but the opposite is also true, poly = good rotation.

So, is there any good answer besides replacing bushing frequently ?

Here is comes ........ What if, a guy was able to incorporate a Johnny Joint at the rear leaf to shackle position ??

I put on my fire suite so flame as needed.

Boostwerks comp shackles are the other, more recent manufacturer that uses a flex joint combined with a bushing. Quite a few people running them here, myself included. They work as advertised.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried fitting standard flex joints into a pair of xj leaf springs?
I can't imagine alca is the only people to do this or try

Has anyone tried fitting standard flex joints into a pair of xj leaf springs?
I can't imagine alca is the only people to do this or try

The problem is with the chassis side leaf mount. It isn't wide enough to allow the leaf to twist. Nothing that some custom fab wouldn't solve however.

To Boost Works;
Your shackle has the live joint at the frame end so does it have a poly bushing at the leaf end ?

To Boost Works;
Your shackle has the live joint at the frame end so does it have a poly bushing at the leaf end ?

I meant to ask, what would you advise to use on the spring end ?
Seems like Poly would be the choice for the rotational advantage given that the lateral deflection is now not a factor due to having a live joint up top.

Seems like Poly would be the choice for the rotational advantage given that the lateral deflection is now not a factor due to having a live joint up top.

Yup, poly would be my choice for the reasons you gave. I'm running poly on both ends of my leafs.

I'm planning on going to poly for that reason and they can be changed much faster than having to remove and press in conventional bushings. There's not much price difference between them as well.

Back