• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Renix AW4 damaged shift shaft

Sean778

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1989 Cherokee pioneer, 4.0l, AW4, Np242.
I foolishly damaged the shift shaft and the seal on my AW4 when I was attempting to remove the old N.S.S. I would like to find a replacement shifter shaft and seal, but what I don't know is if I have to find a donor Renix era jeep, or if I can use one from a later model AW4?
Does anyone know of a source for these parts besides the junkyard? So far the local pick and pull has not had any Cherokees on the lot when I have had a free weekend. I found a used AW4 on Kijiji out of town for $100, but it is from a '98. Any advice would be appreciated.

I also can't get the reverse lights to work since swapping to a new parts store NSS, but I have a suspicion that my problem is the connector. When I get the other parts I need and remove and reinstall the NSS, then I'll try to diagnose that issue. My motivation and free time for this project have been in short supply since my son was born in 2015. party1: Thanks!

Sean

Back