• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped, can’t make it run right

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
2000, aw4,4.0 federal emissions.

I had ran my stroker too hard, wiped out s lifter and had oil pressure issues. Grabbed a 4.0 out of a 93 xj in the junk yard, swapped all the sensors to the obd2 and dropped it in. Ran ok for a few months, then a stumble If id get on it. Now ya gotten to the point I can’t drive it. Cold start, runs ok until it warms up, then, it’s like the timing is way way off. Push the pedal down and it doesn’t rev, doesn’t stall, just stays

It’s throwing many codes
Evan purge solenoid circuit open or shorted
TPS voltage low
O2 (rear) heater circuit
Transmission range sensor fault
Od solenoid a fault.

I’ve replaced the tps twice with house brand from advanced auto, with a meter it shows about .8 volts at idle and 4.8 at WOT

Swapped the map sensor with a known good one

The rear O2 is unplugged.

Sensor ground on ac compressor, battery ground on ac compressor, but different bolt

The front O2 is only about 2 years old.

I did a timing set and am rather sure the timing is dead on. But I’ll open it back up and check.

Here’s where things get wired, if I unplug the map sensor, it acts like cold startup, it’s drivable, but the difference is it wants to stall. If it’s plugged in, it will idle, but has no power. It doesn’t have much power to begin with but it’s undrivable with the map plugged in.

I’m stumped. Next part I’m going to try is the front O2.

As for the Evap, it’s hooked up, the wires are there, I tested the solenoid on 12 volts, it’s working, I passed emissions test (they scan for s cel) my adding a relay to give it full battery juice.

My last hope is my ecu, had a lose ground strap(from the head to the firewall) on the first start. Tightened it down and started it. Ran till now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with the basics, go over every wire plug and wire harness under the hood. Make sure all the plugs are snug, and no wires ended up loose or out of place and that they are not rubbing on sharp metal or on hot parts. Make sure none of the wire harness wire splices failed while you were moving the wire harnesses all around during the swap. Makes sure all the ground connections are tight.

Post the actual OBD trouble code numbers.

Problem solve for the OBD trouble codes, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong. Don't shotgun random new parts in the hope of accidentally fixing it. Start with lowest number code.

Use genuine Jeep sensors.

Checked over all the connections, every ground, even verified the sensor ground with an ohm meter to the negotiable battery terminal and the ecu case. No resistance there. I can’t get codes because I use my laptop with an obd to usb converter and it decided to kill a hard drive. One thing I have yet to do is check my fuel pressure. It seems my issue becomes severe when up to temp. I remember looking at live data and seeing 218 degree coolant temp and 199 IAT. Seems a little high to me for IAT. It occurs to me I have not checked fuel pressure. I’ll try fuel pressure tonight when I get home from work, around 9 pm. A quick google tells me 49.2 +- 5 psi. Is this correct?

Time for an update. Hate when theses get left open ended.
Fuel pressure check out. Dead on 49 psi.
Compression
1: 120
2:125
3:120
4:120
5:130
6:130
Compression seems fine.
Will get the laptop fixed tonight and get some codes. The issue seems temp related. Somewhat drivable when cold, not really drivable when hot.
Runs so rich that a 70 mike trip fowled a fresh set of champion copper spark plugs.
I’ll ohm the coils and injectors, it’s free and easy.
I’ll also check through the wiring harness for the same resistance. I have the pinouts.
I had an exhaust leak from a broken bolt in the head for the back exhaust headed bolt, that was a fight. The lifters got stuck up, wouldn’t build compression, replaced the lifters (they wouldn’t collapse). I’ll also verify cam sensor timing.

So, got the codes, and noticed a few things
P0443 evap solenoid
P0138 b1s2 voltage high (it’s unplugged)
P0171 band 1 system too lean.

Also, idling, rolls black smoke out of the tailpipe (over-fueling?)

Live data shows LTFT +30-50%. No exhaust leaks. I’m leaning towards the O2 or the ecu. All other sensors tested fine.

Don't shotgun random new parts in the hope of accidentally fixing it. Start with lowest number trouble code. I don't see how a vacuum leak would cause those trouble codes.

Use genuine Jeep OBD sensors and NTK O2 sensors.

P0138 JEEP - O2 Sensor 1/2 Circuit High

Possible causes
•Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
•Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
•Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
•Intake air leaks
•Exhaust gas leaks
•Faulty fuel injectors

P0171 JEEP - Fuel System 1/1 Lean

Possible causes
•Intake air leaks
•Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
•Ignition misfiring
•Faulty fuel injectors
•Exhaust gas leaks
•Incorrect fuel pressure
•Lack of fuel
•Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
•Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

Got it running good. The front O2 sensor didn’t check out. Had a spare used to variety and it ran batter so I got a new one for it. I found my “rough running” is something out of balance. I’ll investigate further. As far as the rear O2 code, I found my driveshaft got the wiring and shorted the heater circuit, making the front read wrong and had a lot of spot built up and fowled the sensor.

Thanks everyone, sorry for my ignorance.

The front and the rear have only one thing in common, the ground!

Thanks everyone, sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Mistakes, experience, and some research are the cure for lack of knowledge. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Ignorance is when one disregards advice from more experienced folks that have been there and done that already.

Mistakes, experience, and some research are the cure for lack of knowledge. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Ignorance is when one disregards advice from more experienced folks that have been there and done that already.

That is true. I’ll be sure to soak all the knowledge up I can.

Back