• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which brand/grade oil and which brand filter?

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys..i did i quick search and seems like alot of people like mobil 1..i have a 95 4.0 with 112,000 miles on her..still i youngster compared to alot of ya, but i was just wondering which oil and grade of oil you would recommend me using?..im in northeastern PA so it sees alot of cold temps..while were at it, which filter do you guys like?..i saw fram called the "orange can of death" haha..maybe stay away from fram?..thanks

I've been using max life 10W40 and purolater filters. I like the valvoline oils.

i also use purolator and valvoline ususlly 10w30 but i think i'm gonna switch to 10w40 next time

i just use purolator because i think their slogan is brilliant perfect advertising

pure oil now, pure oil later PUROLATOR

Castrol 10W30 and I used to buy FRAM filters but up here we just have a NAPA. I just did my oil and had to go with a house brand filter. Wasn't crazy about it but I didn't have much of a choice as I was leaving for CA in the morning.

riverfever said:
Castrol 10W30 and I used to buy FRAM filters but up here we just have a NAPA. I just did my oil and had to go with a house brand filter. Wasn't crazy about it but I didn't have much of a choice as I was leaving for CA in the morning.

I believe the NAPA house brand is made by Wix...which is a really good filter.

BTW...I use Mobil 1 10W30 and a K&N oil filter.

i use high valvaline maxlife or GTX high milage 10w30. my friend used to have an XJ, but sold it, and had a bunch of the 6$ purolator pureone filters (the blue ones with the fancy stickers) so that's what i'm using for now.

prb24 said:
I believe the NAPA house brand is made by Wix...which is a really good filter.
Yup, the NAPA filter is made by Wix; it's definitely a good filter, and I'd recommend a roll of used toilet paper over FRAM filters any day.

Since the original poster has a '95, you can use the larger Wix/NAPA 51515 instead. You get an extra 1/2-quart capacity and more filtered area.

Quaker State High Mileage 10-40 and Mobil 1 or NAPA(WIX) Filter. I also use Restore in all of my vehicles. I have been using it for 20 years and have never had an engine failure due to lubrication related problems.

I use Mobil One 5W-30 during the winter and 10W-30 during the rest of the year. If it gets up to 105 degrees again this summer, I might use 10W-40.

I use Carquest filters, which are also manufactured by Wix.

Stay away from FRAM at all costs.

Yucca-Man said:
Since the original poster has a '95, you can use the larger Wix/NAPA 51515 instead. You get an extra 1/2-quart capacity and more filtered area.

Just did a search on napaonline.com, and couldn't find the 51515 filter. Does it have the 3/4" thread-on? Does it have an anti-drainback valve?

Thanks!!

Filter: not Fram.

Oil: I'll vote for Castrol GTX High Mileage Formula 10w40. Been running various blends of this in all the vehicles I've owned and it really does help with seal condition and seepage. Why the bottle considers 75000 miles 'high' I'll never understand, but it does seem to be a bit more effective at keeping oil in than others I've tried.

Whoops - the Wix part number is 51515, NAPA calls it a NAPA Gold FIL1515. Yes, it's a 3/4"-16 filter, just like the recommended OEM part. The difference is that it's twice as large and is more widely found.

Yucca-Man said:
Whoops - the Wix part number is 51515, NAPA calls it a NAPA Gold FIL1515. Yes, it's a 3/4"-16 filter, just like the recommended OEM part. The difference is that it's twice as large and is more widely found.

Ok ... just found it. Turns out, they have that size filter in 3 different grades:

ProSelect: $2.59
NASCAR: $3.29
GOLD: $5.59

Do you know the difference between these grades? (other than the paint job!)

Thanks!!

Back