• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you turn cross drilled rotors?

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
im thinking about a set and if i buy them, i want some longevity. they are about double the price of oem

I believe so

Ive heard you can't.
Maybe thats just for slotted rotors though.
I guess we will find out as more people post;)

I've turned drilled rotors.

Maybe you can't, but no one told me so I did it anyways.

MiNi Beast said:
Technically your not to turn any type of rotor. Same as a flywheel, but who changes their serpentine belt every 80,000 miles either?
nobody, i'd be outta money by now if i followed that, lol.

MiNi Beast said:
Technically your not to turn any type of rotor. Same as a flywheel, but who changes their serpentine belt every 80,000 miles either?

If you arent supposed to, then why do rotors come with a minumum thickness stamped on them? Its not just because of wear..

MiNi Beast said:
So do flywheels but the FSM says not to turn them or machine them.

So you're saying you arent supposed to turn JEEP rotors. I realize this is a jeep site, but in that kind of statement you do need to be specific.

They say that, because there is no adjustment for the hydrolic clutch. Most dealers turn them anyways with no ill effect.

From the brake shop, they told me you are not suppose to turn rotors. Weather the guy was smoking crack or what but that's what they said. And I DOUBLE CHECKED IT AT A COUPLE OF OTHER SHOPS AND NAPA, and they all told me the same thing. But they still do, because like it was said who follows what the factory recommends, half the reason they say all that is to bring cars in to get serviced and make more money for the dealerships. But like ring & pinions and lifts are to be done by a professional shop, how many have put their own lift on, or perhaps found a guy who does gears out of his garage? I turn my rotors, heck yeah, but I'm hard on them. But you really should not have to turn rotors, like FSM says, if you change your brakes when or before they wear all the way down. And also it's one thing for a pavement pounder dd to a weekend warrior DD with all that extra due stress.

MiNi Beast said:
From the brake shop, they told me you are not suppose to turn rotors. Weather the guy was smoking crack or what but that's what they said. And I DOUBLE CHECKED IT AT A COUPLE OF OTHER SHOPS AND NAPA, and they all told me the same thing. But they still do, because like it was said who follows what the factory recommends, half the reason they say all that is to bring cars in to get serviced and make more money for the dealerships. But like ring & pinions and lifts are to be done by a professional shop, how many have put their own lift on, or perhaps found a guy who does gears out of his garage? I turn my rotors, heck yeah,
that makes sense

Well i work at Napa, and we dont turn rotors anymore true, not beucase your not supposed to, but most cars you can get new rotors for a few bucks more hen turning them, and it saves us hassle. cross drilled rotors cant be turned, well anything can but i wouldnt do it. to much risk of messing up a machine.
jeep rotors arent normally turned because they are thinner then most other rotors. turning a rotor isnt bad, given that the run out isnt to bad, most of the time, a rotor has any run out what so ever, i suggest now rotors. if the rotor wore true and isnt chunked and has atleast.07 over tolerances it can be turned safely.

89RockHeep said:
Well i work at Napa, and we dont turn rotors anymore true...

My local napa got rid of the 'outsourced' machine shop next door and took it in house just recently. Now they not only turn rotors, they do complete engine rebuilds.

*shrug*

napa is also a Franchise not a corporation meaning that what the individual owners do is there own discretion, also napa has things called total car care centers where having the shop do the work, isnt outsourcing, and a good way to bring in business to the shop

I guess I didn't make that part really clear. This napa got sucked into cooporate (no longer a franchise store) and thats when they brought it in house. For the 90 years prior it was owned by the same family, they hopped on the napa bandwagon about 8 years ago

*shrug*

either way, can turn them, probably shouldnt.

:)

lol what i would do, is find some one on like craigslist and when you show em what you got to turn, just wiat for the one that doesnt say "no promises" cause regardless of how bad ass your machine is, the fact of the matter is your applying more then enough pressure for the bit to fall in to the emptiness it will clip the edge of the hole , turn it SLOW and did i say slow lol. also kick the bit over 10-15 degrees to what ever direction its being turned

MiNi Beast said:
So do flywheels but the FSM says not to turn them or machine them.

The Jeep flywheel isn't flat like a brake rotor. It's very slightly convex, hence the recommendation NOT to turn them.

We turn drilled and or slotted rotors all day long. It is as easy as turning regular rotors, causes no issues with the equipment or the rotor and have been doing it for 25 years. almost all rotors are designed to be machined and almost all manufactures recommend it. Just look in the Factory repair Manuel's.

Back