• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake upgrade for those running D44/Chevy brakes(waggy brakes included)

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
The local sales representative for Performance Friction came into work the other day, and I got to talking to him about possible rotors for my front 44 build, mostly for shits and giggles, since I already bought Wagner rotors. He told me they didn't make anything for Jeeps, and I explained to him I wasn't exactly running factory Jeep, 76-92 Ford 1/2 ton rotors and Chevy calipers and pads. He didn't believe they offered anything, but asked for more info on the pads and calipers I was using: 80-87 Chevy 1/2 ton truck calipers, and series 52 pads. This is the important part, because the series 52 pads were used on various GM vehicles, and Jeep FSJs(even the Checker used them) from 67-02: He told me that there may be a better performing pad I can use..... The 80-90s caprice with the police package uses a series 614 pad, it's used in the same caliper as the standard Caprice with the series 52 pads, but has a larger contact surface, for more stopping power. Be warned, your average parts store idiot may not know what the hell you are talking about if you go in asking for a series 614 pad, you should be able to find it listed for the 81-96 Caprices with the Police package, try a few different years if you have to.

I had already gotten the series 52 pads for the build, I'll return them and switch them out for the 614s, but here is a side by side comparison:
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

Yes, Performance Friction pads come packed in foam padding
DSC00250.jpg

Series 52s on the left
DSC00251.jpg

Back to back of the mounting holes, identical. I test fit a set of them at work on a 80's K10 caliper
DSC00252.jpg

Face to face comparison, 614 pad on top
DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

Nice find! Will be helpful when doing my waggy/hp44 swap.

Back