• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine lagging issue

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
So as the title says i am having an engine lagging issue. every once in a while when i start to accelerate and i reach about 2000 rpms the engine seems to bog down for a few seconds. it isnt happening when it is shifting. i dont know what it could be. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Does the catalytic converter rattle? After time they will fall apart. It could possibly be a chunk of the honeycomb blocking the exhaust, I experienced similar problems with one of my jeeps but it usually lasted longer than a few seconds.

So as the title says i am having an engine lagging issue. every once in a while when i start to accelerate and i reach about 2000 rpms the engine seems to bog down for a few seconds. it isnt happening when it is shifting. i dont know what it could be. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

what year? have you checked/tested fuel pressure?

I have the same issue, and I never thought about it being the cat. It's been blown for over a year now and its very annoying, but I don't feel like replacing my whole exhaust system because the last time it was done it was welded together. After the 5th muffler and tailpipe, I had to do something, but welding wasn't it. =\

my gf's 97 is doing the same thing adn so is my 98

on my 98 i 've replaced every sensor under the hood except the 02 sensors because i couldn'
t get my code reader to read any freze frame data and i got one to do it the other day and on both mine and my gfs it's looking liek an upstreme o2 sensor i'm doing my gf's today so i'll post back up and let you know if it does anyhting

so i did the 02 sensor yesterday and the check engine light went out adn i runs great now and did all last night but my gf texted me after she went home saying the check engine light came back on but hasn't seemed "bog" or "miss" at all so after work tonight i'll through the code reader back on it and see what i get i'm kinda thinking it's for something else because she has a minor exhaust leak that has been getting worse and i wonder if the new code is for the downstrem sensor

If I remember right, this is limp-mode. It does this to tell you there's a problem, since there aren't any real symptoms that come from the problem you have, until it explodes, or something.
It was the o2 sensor when my 99 was doing it.

OK, let's see here. Your Jeep runs like crap, what is causing it? Is that the question? There are literally hundreds of possible causes, it's not that easy.

Don't worry though, lots of people here will tell you that their Jeep had a drivability problem and it was such and such part so you should just replace it. After hundreds of dollars maybe you will take it somewhere for a proper diagnosis. Or not. Good luck. :)

so i did the 02 sensor yesterday and the check engine light went out adn i runs great now and did all last night but my gf texted me after she went home saying the check engine light came back on but hasn't seemed "bog" or "miss" at all so after work tonight i'll through the code reader back on it and see what i get i'm kinda thinking it's for something else because she has a minor exhaust leak that has been getting worse and i wonder if the new code is for the downstrem sensor

Again, this is what happens when you get into a parts-chucking contest. Don't worry about actually diagnosing it, if you replace enough parts it has to run right! Right?

Edit: one more thing, this thread should be in OEM tech.

Again, this is what happens when you get into a parts-chucking contest. Don't worry about actually diagnosing it, if you replace enough parts it has to run right! Right?

Edit: one more thing, this thread should be in OEM tech.

i don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning buddy but don't sit here and try to take it out on me

sorry that i have two jeeps that run on the same operating system as his that had almost the same problem he discribed and in both cases it was the upstreme o2 sensor and on top of that the next post right below me was somebody else saying they had the same problem with the same solution on again a jeep of the same operateing system

when i first started haveing this problem with my jeep it did kind of turn into a parts chucking contest because every one i talked to told me that problem was to drastict to be caused by an o2 sensor and that o2 sensor code was because something else was makeing my jeep run rich at the time

but i mean since ur obviously smarter then everyone on this board y don't you tell him whats wrong with his jeep instead of flameing on others who are trying to help him because they had a similar problem

and your right this should probably be in OEM tech, maybe you should become a moderator, we could really use some ingenious people like you to help keep this forum in order

-Dylan

Last edited:
a very similar problem I'm having with my 98 XJ. when i first start it and get going, it seems to feel like it's running out of gas, then i let off the accelerator and then start going again it's fine.

could this be the same thing?

i don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning buddy but don't sit here and try to take it out on me

sorry that i have two jeeps that run on the same operating system as his that had almost the same problem he discribed and in both cases it was the upstreme o2 sensor and on top of that the next post right below me was somebody else saying they had the same problem with the same solution on again a jeep of the same operateing system

when i first started haveing this problem with my jeep it did kind of turn into a parts chucking contest because every one i talked to told me that problem was to drastict to be caused by an o2 sensor and that o2 sensor code was because something else was makeing my jeep run rich at the time

but i mean since ur obviously smarter then everyone on this board y don't you tell him whats wrong with his jeep instead of flameing on others who are trying to help him because they had a similar problem

and your right this should probably be in OEM tech, maybe you should become a moderator, we could really use some ingenious people like you to help keep this forum in order

-Dylan

Dumbass! You can't fix this kind of stuff over the web without far more detailed info than the original poster provided. I guarantee you I could fix it, but that would likely me to actually have the vehicle- um- right next to me where I could use proper diagnostic equipment. Which a code reader isn't, by the way.

i'm not gonna sit here and have a pissing contest over this with you. i've got much better things to do.

i never said it was deffinatly his problem i said theres a chance it could be

he didn't asked any one to tell him exactly what was wrong he was asking if anyone had a similar problem and how they solved it. and i just happened to have a very similar problem twice inthe past mounth so i shared my experience with him

also going by what your saying all of the thousands of post on this website about people having engine trouble with there xjs or any other car or car site for that matter are pointless and a waste of time because the vehical isn't right next to you and it's not possable to help someone else over the internet.

but i guess i'm just dumb and am wasteing my time trying to help somebody else on here

i guess all i could do is hope someday i'll be as smart as you and then maybe the world will be a better place

sorry
-Dylan

I would love to see a conclusion to this, regardless of which forum it is in. I too have a 98 XJ 4.0 5 speed doing the same thing. When the engine is cold the stumble will occur under any type of acceleration around 2-3K rpm. This happens once per drive and then gone. The problem is no check engine light or stored codes except for the fuel gauge that falls asleep, I do have a scanner. I also have a digital fuel pressure gauge in a pillar pod and it stays steady around 49-52. Nothing beats pulling into to traffic and then coasting for a bit as other vehicles catch up quickly. Good luck with your findings and please share!

I'm thinking you should both step back, chill out, and think about why we are here at NAXJA. If your not here because you love your XJ, the interweb has 1000 other good car forums you can attend. You both have valid arguements. Would I replace parts just to see if it works? HELL NO. Have I guessed at things that were wrong with it, replaced them, and it not been correct when I don't own the proper diagnostic tools to fix a car? HELL YES.

Case, point, and example- 1995 Buick Century. ABD1.5 Only thing that can read it is a tech2, and even it gives only basic information. It had a misfire, so I replaced the plugs, wires, Ignition Module, Cam Position Sensor, and then finally came to the resulution with the Crank Postion Sensor.

A 20 dollar fix, but it took 150 in other parts to find it, and well worth it to have a running car again.

Exactly. I try to dissuade people from making posts like this because it usually just costs them money. You get a bunch of people saying they replaced this, they replaced that, and so on. It goes nowhere.

Now on the other hand, if the guy came on here saying I've got such and such code, or a certain symptom but it hasn't set a code, now that is helpful and we can work through it. But for someone to make a post, here or anywhere, that he has an engine lagging issue with no further info is not smart, and will get what they paid for diagnostic help.

That's just how I see it, sorry if somebody doesn't like it.

My 99 gets laggy after hot soaks. But as I've mentioned several times on other posts like this I just give the throttle a quick stab to wide open (fast enough to prevent huge acceleration/transmission downshifts) and it always clears up.

I've had a suspicion its a worn out TPS but if I can rid the problem with something as simple as a WOT stab, its really a waste of time/money.

The problem is much worse when I run cheap no name gasoline especially if its 85 octane, but sometimes doesn't happen at all if I run Shell 87 or 91.

Back