• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BLEW UPPER RAD HOSE OFF RAD

stace

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all I have a dilemma my 88 xj blew the upper rad hose off the rad.
it has a new rad both upper and lowwer hoses.water pump I think taht the hermostat
is stuck close which is causing the coolant system to over pressurize does anybody have this happen. thanx:canada:

replace the t stat and put a new hose on

Then replace the clamp. There's no way the hose could have blown off if the clamp was tight. The cap would relieve the pressure long before that happens.

Saudade said:
Then replace the clamp. There's no way the hose could have blown off if the clamp was tight. The cap would relieve the pressure long before that happens.

X2 Also sounds like the therostat was installed backwards.

a jammed thermostat wont cause the upper hose to overpressure and blow off, the thermostat traps coolant in the block.

An upper hose blowing off sounds like a clogged radiator.

So your saying it couldnt build "back pressure" into the rad. Which would not blow past(or out) the weakest link. This time the top rad hose. I mean the hot STEAMY water needs to go somewhere. I didnt know of a one way valve in the XJ cooling system. HUH.

sure you got the right water pump? early models are standard rotation, late models are reverse. if your pump is spinning in the wrong direction it would build pressure in the radiator instead of the block.

You can't install a thermostat in backwards on an XJ, the spring pack on the back of the thermostat wont fit inside the thermostat housing.

I'm going with the clamp wasn't tight enough.

The bypass valve on the radiator cap (post 91) and or the pressure valve on the bottle will releave excess pressure.

Other than that you would have to blow a head gasket to create enough pressure fast enough to overwhelm the bypass valve, and I'm guessing you would have noticed other symptoms of that (lots of white smoke out the tailpipe).

http://xjcruiser.com/jeep-cherokee-thermostat-replacement/

---
XJCruiser90

is the radiator neck on the 88's plastic? on my 95 i cracked the plastic neck where the upper hose attached and lost the "ridge" that the clamp grabbed on to. no matter how tight the clamp was, the hose would blow off from time to time.

xjcruiser90 said:
You can't install a thermostat in backwards on an XJ, the spring pack on the back of the thermostat wont fit inside the thermostat housing.

WANNA BET? :D My buddy did it on his 87 about two weeks ago. Sure it isnt easy and it crushes the thermostat, but it can be done. LATER!!

Hey I will now expaned on the story replaced clamp coolant on side of the road after blew hose off got the jeep home had it sit in my driveway for a day finally had time today to work on it but no start . Now I know what you all think but lets not be so negative. The engine still tries to catch when cranking AH HELL I NEED A HEAD GASKET lets admit it damn since I need a new gasket I might as well swap my 91 ho into the 88 of course Ill do a compression test on the renix first but it's probably done lets hope not . Anybody have any other ideas why it wont start melted sensor any thing but gasket. just a hopeHasta

Back