• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

red91

NAXJA Forum User
Re: B NNT PPT FSMsCN THISDORTM

[QUPE=TRNDPR]
MaIae we should start selling tin foils hats with NAXJA embroidered on the
( [/QUO@]

I` gnnnabet a Ydik` wi` N@XJAdmbroidted on it....anyone else want one?

Due to Copyright infringement, NAXJA cannot allow posting of ANY FSM or links to such sites.
DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM!
PERIOD!

Strike one: Violators will be warned once and their post will be edited/deleted.
Strike two: Further action will be taken.

Damn, the man gave me the smack down. One little link and BAM the government takes my house, credit, and my wife's eggs.

OT - I think a PM would have worked. I would have listened. :)

I thought that the den was the only place we could use Fuzzy Sex Mittens? But what ever, it's cool with me.

Too hard to type with them on any way.
:laugh3:

TIM

Okie Terry said:
Due to Copyright infringement, NAXJA cannot allow posting of ANY FSM or links to such sites.
DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM!
PERIOD!

Strike one: Violators will be warned once and their post will be edited/deleted.
Strike two: Further action will be taken.
Why not a valid link?
thinking.gif

Posting a copyrighted pic or otherwise on the boards, I can see what you're saying, but if it's a valid link to a site open to the public, I don't see the problem. I just hate seeing heavy handed goderation of something that's not necessary because someone over reacted. :dunno:

Please don't fall into the trap!

TRNDRVR said:
Why not a valid link?
thinking.gif

Posting a copyrighted pic or otherwise on the boards, I can see what you're saying, but if it's a valid link to a site open to the public, I don't see the problem. I just hate seeing heavy handed goderation of something that's not necessary because someone over reacted. :dunno:

Please don't fall into the trap!

The people with the Jeep publication contract, cruise the net and create problems. Why make it easy for them.

8Mud said:
Why make it easy for them.
A valid link open to the PUBLIC? I would call that free advertisement everytime we 'clicked' on it! I would say that if THEY didn't want US to look at it, why would they have it there to look at in the first place? If this is the case, then ALL links posted on NAXJA are NOW not allowed and evey one of them needs to be deleted. :dunno:

TRNDRVR said:
Posting a copyrighted pic or otherwise on the boards, I can see what you're saying, but if it's a valid link to a site open to the public, I don't see the problem.

I have to say... Trndrvr has got a point here.

NAXJA doesn't control the content of external links, so if someone else wants to risk hosting an FSM on their personal (read: non-NAXJA / sb-host) webspace it's their business whether or not they want to potentially face prosecution for violating copyright laws. It's the difference between "you can buy bootleg DVDs in downtown L.A." and "I'm selling bootleg DVDs".

I just hate seeing heavy handed goderation of something that's not necessary because someone over reacted. :dunno:

Here's the difference, though: I don't see what Terry did as being heavy-handed - he's just trying to protect the group from possible (IMHO misguided) litigation. However, my gut feeling is that there's a way for both sides of the coin to exist peacefully - after all, we can't enforce what non-NAXJA websites do, but as we have no control over the content of external sites it may be worth adding a note to the disclaimer to that effect. This should permit those who want publicly accept the risk of violating copyright to do so, while not violating our fundamental freedom to publicly note where they may be doing it.

TRNDRVR said:
Why not a valid link?

Probably because there is no such thing. All of the links out there are ALSO violations of copyright law. The publisher who holds the copyrights does not have a copy legally posted on the web.

d10shun said:
Damn, the man gave me the smack down. One little link and BAM the government takes my house, credit, and my wife's eggs.

OT - I think a PM would have worked. I would have listened. :)
You think you're the reason for all this?
Every other day, I'm deleting links the sites with the FSMs on them.
Nope, sorry, it's not you. You're not that important.

Everyone else,
This is not my stance on the issue.
NAXJA has a problem with being associated with pirated materials, be it FSMs or otherwise.

If one has an issue that calls for the help of an FSM that they don't have and you want to help, take it back channel (via e-mail) and keep NAXJA out of the mix.

Personally, I don't care what the whiner's stance is on the issue, as I'm looking out for the whole of the club and helping to protect it's intrests.
Call it stupid or unfair or whatever, but this is the way it has come to pass and is the way it will be until it's changed.
DCM has many more lawyers than does NAXJA and, frankly, we don't need the hassle.

If you have a problem with the way things run....................you know the rest. hasta

Okie Terry said:
You think you're the reason for all this?
Every other day, I'm deleting links the sites with the FSMs on them.
Nope, sorry, it's not you. You're not that important.

Everyone else,
This is not my stance on the issue.
NAXJA has a problem with being associated with pirated materials, be it FSMs or otherwise.

If one has an issue that calls for the help of an FSM that they don't have and you want to help, take it back channel (via e-mail) and keep NAXJA out of the mix.

Personally, I don't care what the whiner's stance is on the issue, as I'm looking out for the whole of the club and helping to protect it's intrests.
Call it stupid or unfair or whatever, but this is the way it has come to pass and is the way it will be until it's changed.
DCM has many more lawyers than does NAXJA and, frankly, we don't need the hassle.

If you have a problem with the way things run....................you know the rest. hasta
Forgive me but, does the word paranoid come to mind?

TRNDRVR said:
Forgive me but, does the word paranoid come to mind?

Considering that the punishment for willful copyright violation is up to $150,000 per incident plus all court costs and legal fees, no, the word paranoid doesn't come to mind at all. The word prudent, however, does.

Personally, I'll take cya over risk of exposure anyday......and I like to take risks.
I vote for keeping NAXJA's pants up.

XJEEPER said:
Personally, I'll take cya over risk of exposure anyday......and I like to take risks.
I vote for keeping NAXJA's pants up.

Second. Do we have a motion? It's been a few weeks since the last one, I think we're due.

Factory Service Manual. Not really net speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back