• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 3" lift thread(Help me)

TheCloneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, bit of a unique situation, wel one that I can't find any info on anyhow. I Have a 99 XJ that is sagging and long overdue for leafs, shocks and coils, and this being the first time I have ever done this I want to do it right. I have some very specific things I need this to do for me but I don't what parts will do it.
Basically I need to be able to put my XJ at max capacity i.e. 5 people in the car, tire on top, camping gear in the back, and a light camping trailer, and still have it be drive able and capable of light off-roading.
I have looked at kits like the rough country etc but they are all mostly add leaf, also I cannot go over 3" with this mod(worried about DL vibes).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

You don't even have to bother with the SYE. Put a transfer case drop kit in, and you're done.

Other than that, what springs you use depends on how tall you want to be.

FYI, I have Explorer Procomp 4" leafs in mine and a tcase drop kit. No vibes. The springs were cheap, too- $100/each, for full packs.

You can add a Hack 'n Tap Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit this the one I used it is simple to install
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/hack-n-tap-slip-yoke-eliminator-kit.html
It uses a front drive shaft in the rear so your XJ will use the same driveshaft front and rear , I got the drive shaft and a pick and pull it only cost about $45.00 . I have a 4.5" lift and this kit fixed my drive shaft vibration .

Ok Thanks for the suggestion. Also, could you recommend a Leaf pack for the rear that will get me up to 3" and give me the Hauling capacity I need

You don't even have to bother with the SYE. Put a transfer case drop kit in, and you're done.

Other than that, what springs you use depends on how tall you want to be.

FYI, I have Explorer Procomp 4" leafs in mine and a tcase drop kit. No vibes. The springs were cheap, too- $100/each, for full packs.

I just need 3" and man this is confusing but I've heard on the one hand alot of bad about T-case drops but people keep recommending them so mybe Ill just go that way. Could you recommend a leaf pack that will give me the hauling capacity and height I need. I don't really want to go over 3" but if I have to to get the hauling capacity I need I will.

Rubicon Express, I carry heavy loads > 200lb+ tongue weight and the jeep all loaded up. 14 yrs no with no sagging!

Most quality lift kits will allow carrying the full rated vehicle capacity. JKS, Old Man Emu, Iron Rock, and Rubicon Express are good quality kits, Rough Country, not so much. Whatever lift kit you buy, be sure to get a lift kit leaf spring pack unless you have the knowledge to build your own homebrewed lifted spring pack.

At about 3-4 inches of lift most 1996-2001 Cherokees will need an SYE. Not installing an SYE can easily lead to catastrophic transfer case failure.

Last edited:
i am very happy with my old man emu springs. i'm using the 3 inch heavy duty. very pleased. i am sitting at 4.5 inches of lift but i have ext shackles and hd off road shackle relocates(no lift) very pleased.
i would use a tcase drop as a temporay means as long as its not much. then save the money and do a sye later. i would use a stock auto front shaft in the rear at 3 inches. it will work fine. 4.5 inches is pushing the limits.

What don't you like about Rough Country?

I don't work for them, just curious.

I'm in the same boat and will be lifting my stock 1999 3-4 inches too.

Want to make sure I get the best kit out there.

I don't work for them, just curious.

I'm in the same boat and will be lifting my stock 1999 3-4 inches too.

Want to make sure I get the best kit out there.

You can piece a bastard pack lift together and end up with a better kit for the same price.

Rubicon Express, I carry heavy loads > 200lb+ tongue weight and the jeep all loaded up. 14 yrs no with no sagging!
Yep. I run the RE express full leafs and coils too. Nets about 3.5" up front and 4" in the back unloaded. I tow my 2,200 pound trailer with 400 pounds of tongue weight, full size spare and the roof complete loaded up along with gear in the back and it sags down to about 3" in the back leveling the Jeep out. Your going to want some really nice shocks if you want it to handle while loaded. I would suggest the Bilstein 5160's which is what I run along with a LA kit. However you don't need a LA kit at 3". I would STRONGLY recommend doing the slip yoke. Even at 3" you may not feel any vibes but your longevity of your u-joints will be greatly reduced.

So in my experience, if you dont want sag I would go with a brand new RE rear leaf kit (3.5").

Rough country stuff is cheap and easily up-gradable. I would suggest their products but not their leaf packs as they they WILL sag in a short period of time not giving you a true lift. I run their LA kit and track bar btw, both of which work great (I have upgraded the joints and bushings though...)

The only way to reduce the cost of lift kit parts, is to reduce the quality of the parts. For a few dollars more there are better quality and longer lasting lift kits.

Personally I would go with Doetsch Tech 3000-series shocks for about an extra $5/ea, but that's simply because I have experience with them. I do know they make their own product, and am pretty sure that Rough Country doesn't.

I don't know for sure but a quick Google search leads me to believe Monroe makes shocks for RC. They're bottom of the barrel units, and I have never been happy with a Monroe shock on a truck (I have a pair on the back of my SAS S10 at present and have horrible tail-wag. They're only there because I'm overtasked at present, and they were all I could find in town that would fit- they're near 3' long!).

Back