• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools... tools....Q's?

Dragon_Fly

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently moved into the school dorms. So I had to get rid of some of my power tools and throw all my other tools in the smallest contractors strong box I could live with. Now I am trying to organize my tools in the box cause they are cluttered and driven me crazy. I mostly have wrenches in both combo and double ended, tons of sockets from 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives with ratchets to match, drill bits, all sorts of pillars, visegrips, and crescents, etc.. and some specialty tools. etc etc etc

I want to see what others are doing to organize their larger tool boxes. I am limited on space. I have a seperate box for my battery powered tools. Pics would be cool too.

thanks

Sears have magnetic strip's. I mounted them in my box and just stick things to them. Works good and keeps them quieter in the back of my xj. Also made dividers and tack welded them in. Good luck.

Dragon_Fly said:
I just recently moved into the school dorms. So I had to get rid of some of my power tools and throw all my other tools in the smallest contractors strong box I could live with. Now I am trying to organize my tools in the box cause they are cluttered and driven me crazy. I mostly have wrenches in both combo and double ended, tons of sockets from 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives with ratchets to match, drill bits, all sorts of pillars, visegrips, and crescents, etc.. and some specialty tools. etc etc etc

I want to see what others are doing to organize their larger tool boxes. I am limited on space. I have a seperate box for my battery powered tools. Pics would be cool too.

thanks

For the sockets and wrenches you might go to sears as they have the molded cases (empty) that you could buy. There you can organize the sockets as well as put some wrenches into the compartment that's in them.

I keep most of my larger wrenches on an old carabiner. It doesn't keep them quiet unless you wrap them or wedge them in a corner, but they're available and sorted. I have another large chain link with screw closure that hold the smaller ones, and then hooks onto the large 'biner.

Yucca-Man said:
I keep most of my larger wrenches on an old carabiner. It doesn't keep them quiet unless you wrap them or wedge them in a corner, but they're available and sorted. I have another large chain link with screw closure that hold the smaller ones, and then hooks onto the large 'biner.
Is that the wrap thingy? I love those. I have about 4 of for all of my wrenches. Keeps them in order and packs em nice fora small place.

710222_9996.jpg

That type thing - not exactly the one I have, but I use a locking-type 'biner just because I know my luck...if I didn't lock it I'd drop the one wrench I really needed.

DOH! I'm reading one thing and thinking of another. Plus i'm used to people saying the name, not reading it. Ignore my lack of whatever.....
I still love my wrench wraps.

I've sewn a few wrench wraps myself using canvass, lay the wrenches out, outline with a magic marker and start sewing pockets. Takes about an hour or so with a sewing machine. For sockets I've used some steel plastic coated wire, crimped a big wire lug on one end a small one on the other. Thread the sockets on then loop the small end thru the big end or use a nut and bolt to connect them together. Keeps the sockets in one spot...

I have some old 'biners I could use but I think the idea of sewing some wrench wraps is on the top of the list. I also decided to buy a canvas tool bag to place my most used tools in for working on my rig. That way to make it easy when I need to grab tools for general work or trail use.

Dragon_Fly said:
I have some old 'biners I could use but I think the idea of sewing some wrench wraps is on the top of the list. I also decided to buy a canvas tool bag to place my most used tools in for working on my rig. That way to make it easy when I need to grab tools for general work or trail use.

Find an army surplus store, they have a special tool bag that has pockets inside for sockets and wrenches. about 20" long 6" wide and 8" high. Kept pretty much all the tools you need to maintain a tracked vehicle including track clamps...and it's a really heavy canvas with a very strong zipper. US Cav has/had them for like $15 or so...

Ahhhh...that's a wrench wrap - I know what they are but didn't know it by that name. The mechanic's tool bag is a great portable tool bag for the basics as well; I think you have a choice of olive green or olive green with those, but that doesn't help the college student with storage issues.

I think I'll pass on the wire spool for sockets though...Murphy's Law and all that, y'know ;)

Back