• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

July 11-12th Cache Valley to Paris Ice cave run

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
Here's a map I whipped up of the route that I have in mind. Click on the red markers for directions.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...A.klz3AWtHw3ls

The thought behind this run was for our group to meet at the Macey's Food parking lot in Providence, UT. on Friday afternoon/early evening of July 11th, (with a full tank of fuel in your rig) with the plan of camping overnight somewhere up Providence Canyon. There are several FS designated campsites in the area, my preference is to camp in the upper basin near the warming hut.

On Saturday morning, July 12th, the group will head out to Logan Canyon via Right Fork (those not camping overnight can meet up with the group here on Sat morning…..time TBD) and proceed up to the Franklin Basin turnoff, where we will travel through Franklin Basin into Idaho and then up the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Caves. We can spend a few hours exploring the ice caves.

Bring flashlights and warm jackets because the temperature of the inner chamber of the cave is about 35*. You can hang out in the outer area of the cave, where the temps will be more in the 60's, as the cold air rising out of the inner chamber keeps it nice and cool and a welcome escape from the summer heat. Depending on the previous winter snowpack, there is often a snow drift for the kids to play in near the outer chamber.

This inner chamber is young kid friendly 5+, IF they have a parents hand to hold, because the floor of the cave is solid ice. Think frozen pond, 2ft thick, with misc. rocks sticking out above the surface of the ice. If you fall, you will be landing on something hard and sharp.
There are also some cool (puny, I know) ice columns which form near an ice chute......which will swallow a man, so no screwing around near these. I plan on bringing my climbing gear and GoPro to do some exploring in one of the chutes.

After the ice cave exploration, we can head into Paris, ID and then back down the highway to Garden City on the shore of Bear Lake for some famous raspberry shakes.

Folks can stay at Bear Lake and play in the water or head out on their own for home, back through Logan Canyon. For those who want to camp again on Saturday night, there are lots of campsites along the road in Logan Canyon and fishing is said to be good there as well, or up Beaver Creek or Franklin Basin.
This will be a great run for the family, not really hardcore but loaded with beautiful scenery of Northern Utah.

IMPORTANT

There will be little/zero cell coverage for much of this trip, so a working CB radio setup is highly recommended and should be standard equipment in your rig. Check your rig over before the run and fix broken stuff. Bring your own tools and parts for trail repairs and the required fire extinguisher and first-aid kit per rig. Bring plenty of water for your group, food for the trail and camping gear for those staying overnight. There are no fuel stops on our route between Providenc, UT and Paris, ID, so start the trip with a full tank.

Any and all who are interested in attending this run, please provide your commitment and any questions in this thread. This will be a fun run!

OK, lets figure out a more trailer-friendly route for the start. How about Blacksmith Fork to Left Hand to FR168 to upper Prov basin?

Sure wish I could edit threads......

July 11-12, 2014 NAXJA IC Trail Run up Blacksmith Fork, UT to Paris, ID Ice cave

This is a family friendly, stock+ rig run for fellow XJers who want to explore Cache Valley and get in some camping.

I had to modify the original map and didn't want to redo the entire thing, so note that the ROUTE BEGINS WITH THE BLUE MARKER ON THE MAP
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zcFaDbQIdt2A.klz3AWtHw3ls

We will meet at the Ridley's Market in Hyrum, UT in the early evening on July 11th and then proceed up Blacksmith Fork Canyon to Left Hand Fork. We will proceed on Left Hand until we reach the 4 Corners area, where the group will locate a campsite for the night.

On Saturday morning, July 12th, the group will head out to Logan Canyon via Right Hand Fork (those not camping overnight can meet up with the group at the Hwy 89/Right Hand Fork turnoff on Sat morning…..time TBD) and proceed up to the Franklin Basin turnoff, where we will travel through Franklin Basin into Idaho and then up the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Caves. We can spend a few hours exploring the ice caves.

Bring flashlights and warm jackets because the temperature of the inner chamber of the cave is about 35*. You can hang out in the outer area of the cave, where the temps will be more in the 60's, as the cold air rising out of the inner chamber keeps it nice and cool and a welcome escape from the summer heat. Depending on the previous winter snowpack, there is often a snow drift for the kids to play in near the outer chamber.

This inner chamber is young kid friendly 5+, IF they have a parents hand to hold, because the floor of the cave is solid ice. Think frozen pond, 2ft thick, with misc. rocks sticking out above the surface of the ice. If you fall, you will be landing on something hard and sharp.
There are also some cool (puny, I know) ice columns which form near an ice chute......which will swallow a man, so no screwing around near these. I plan on bringing my climbing gear and GoPro to do some exploring in one of the chutes.

After the ice cave exploration, we can head into Paris, ID and then back down the highway to Garden City on the shore of Bear Lake for some famous raspberry shakes.

Folks can stay at Bear Lake and play in the water or head out on their own for home, back through Logan Canyon. For those who want to camp again on Saturday night, there are lots of campsites along the road in Logan Canyon and fishing is said to be good there as well, or up Beaver Creek or Franklin Basin.
This will be a great run for the family, not really hardcore but loaded with beautiful scenery of Northern Utah.

IMPORTANT

There will be little/zero cell coverage for much of this trip, so a working CB radio setup is highly recommended and should be standard equipment in your rig. Check your rig over before the run and fix broken stuff. Bring your own tools and parts for trail repairs and the required fire extinguisher and first-aid kit per rig. Bring plenty of water for your group, toiletries ( Leave No Trace), food for the trail and camping gear for those staying overnight. There are no fuel stops on our route between Hyum, UT and Paris, ID, so start the trip with a full tank.

Re: Re: July 11-12th Cache Valley to Paris Ice cave run

I don't hate it. I just don't want to drag my trailer up it.

I e drug my trailer up worse. But me personally don't like that canyon. And to be honest I really don't know why, maybe it's the long drive for nothing really extreme or scenic..I just really don't know, but there's just something about it that just drives me nuts.

But even if it was part of the run I'd do just cause that was the chosen route.

What time to do we want to meet on July 11th in Hyrum? Early afternoon, maybe 2pm-ish works for me, but I recognize that some folks may not be able to be there until 4pm-ish.

Let's get a list of Attendees started and the earliest time you reach Hyrum.

Attendees 6-24-14
XJEEPER-2pm
Dr. Moab
moparcyco
jmaxj - 6am
WesternHunter - 4pm
G2WANIT - Noon
Dr Moab
XJbanker

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on this as well... House and XJ still needs some work but I should get it done by then. As always, I'll have some boys in tow, maybe the Mrs too.

Oh man something else came up, I'm not going to be able to get there til 4 now :)

Back