• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

June 15th - AF Canyon Run

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm open to requests on where to explore in the canyon, but the general plan will be to head up past Tibble Fork Reservoir. We can check out Forest Lake, Mineral Basin, Mary Ellen Gulch...

Meet at Tibble Fork Resevoir at 9:00am. If anyone camps up there Friday night, let me know. I may pop in around midnight or 1:00.

My ears are all open. I will do whatever. I wouldn'nt mind trying Mineral Basin or Forest Lake. I have already done Mary Ellen Gulch, but I have nothing against doing it again. Just would like to try a new trail up there.

I'm going to talk with the wife and see if we can come down...

Talked to my wife about it tonight and sounds like we will be making plans to be there. She will be driving this trip to get in some good trail time. Just need to be sure the XJ is ready to go by then.

FYI, just saw on a billboard today that there is a half-marathon in AF Canyon on 6-15, so plan your travel accordingly.

Re: Re: June 15th - AF Canyon Run

I'm in, work permitting, where would camp be 91to99??
Excellent question...

Most likely the campgrounds will be full. So probably up the dirt road always. As we get closer to the date better plans can be made. I am sure we could meet at the bottom and work our way up. My wife works on that Friday so I will probably get up there early and go get her after camp is set up.

FYI, just saw on a billboard today that there is a half-marathon in AF Canyon on 6-15, so plan your travel accordingly.

Thanks for catching that, Jeff!

I went to their website and found this:

afhalfmarathon.com said:
During the event, the westbound lane from the mouth of American Fork Canyon to Tibble Fork Reservoir will be closed to motorized vehicles from 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. All runners are required to be out of the canyon by 8 a.m. (The canyon is the first seven miles of the course. This means you must be averaging at least a 16-minute mile pace to be out of the canyon by 8 a.m.) Any remaining runners will be picked up by the sag wagon and brought to the finish line.

Eastbound lane (going in the canyon) will be open, but I'd be willing to bet there will be runners compromising their safety to pass eachother and running in the eastbound lane, so watch out if you're heading up before 8:00am.

That's right. Campers and noncampers meet at the reservoir at 9:00am. As Jeff pointed out, there is a half marathon that morning which may slow traffic coming up the canyon, so plan accordingly.

Thanks. I will be sure to plan accordingly. Any ideas on which trail to explore yet?

Not yet. It seems so far everyone is up for anything. I've never been to Forest Lake and would like to give that a try. I also haven't been up Mineral Basin for quite awhile (since Spencer and I went up, if that's any indication to those of us who've been around a few years), so I wouldn't mind that.

hoping to make this run...

Might be a good one to test out all the upgrades to Vince's new jeep.

Sounds like a win-win to me. :)

I will make it up there. Don't know if I will camp yet, the camping gear got pretty wet in Indiana last weekend and I don't know if I'm up for another episode of set up, tear down, dry out and clean up right now.

Back