• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aug chapter trail run

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
Where-hanging tree trail, Ephraim ut

WhenAug 25th

****This trail is not to be underestimated, this run is for more of the hardcore crowd. a minimum of 35" tires and at least 1 locker will be required(2 preferably)and bring spare parts.***

body damage and drivetrain breakage is likely! the trail follows a wash up a canyon with waterfalls and boulders, and if everything works out we will not have to come out the way we went in.

here's the plan campout at the trailhead friday night and run the trail saturday morning. i'm planing on camping there all weekend and anyone is welcome to join. if you don't wanna camp be at the staging area at 9am ready to go. this trail can take all day and then some so the earlier start we get the better.

here's a rough estimate on directions to camp.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Z-Q&oq=ephraim&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=15

i'll post better ones when i get a chance to look at a map better. if your in for a challenge and want to run something different here it is.

Guess I better start prepping the rig and camper. Gotta see if I can get that Friday off.

Where-hanging tree trail, Ephraim ut

WhenAug 25th

****This trail is not to be underestimated, this run is for more of the hardcore crowd. a minimum of 35" tires and at least 1 locker will be required(2 preferably)and bring spare parts.***

body damage and drivetrain breakage is likely! the trail follows a wash up a canyon with waterfalls and boulders, and if everything works out we will not have to come out the way we went in.

here's the plan campout at the trailhead friday night and run the trail saturday morning. i'm planing on camping there all weekend and anyone is welcome to join. if you don't wanna camp be at the staging area at 9am ready to go. this trail can take all day and then some so the earlier start we get the better.

here's a rough estimate on directions to camp.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Z-Q&oq=ephraim&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=15

i'll post better ones when i get a chance to look at a map better. if your in for a challenge and want to run something different here it is.

So... if a guy on 33's with rocker guards, t-case skid and lockers front and rear wanted to tag along... how bad of an idea would that be if he preferred not to break or dent stuff? :D

it wouldn't be too bad of an idea if he new when to say when and wasn't ashamed to take a strap. the trail can be done without major damage just got to really pay attention. ;)

you can pm Kmboren i believe he's done it on 33's and two lockers without major damage.

I have done this trail on 33s with two lockers and I made it through fine. Once I did manage to slide into a rock and damage some but like Jmaxj said it can be done just have to be careful. I have run it once already this year and I had to take my first strap on it. This is the best trail on this side of St. George and Moab. Great scenery and tough obstacles. Do plan on using your sliders a lot. It has some huge boulders and lots of diff hangers. I have this weekend off so I am going to try to make it. I will have to see.

If you are afraid of body damage, then I probably wouldn't go here. I'll try and make this. I need to find a trailer, unless anyone knows someone with a double trailer, I have a 5th wheel hitch and can pull mine and yours :pirate1:

If you are afraid of body damage, then I probably wouldn't go here. I'll try and make this. I need to find a trailer, unless anyone knows someone with a double trailer, I have a 5th wheel hitch and can pull mine and yours :pirate1:

Hey call me I know someone who'll go in on one with ya.

If you are afraid of body damage, then I probably wouldn't go here. I'll try and make this.

I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of body damage, but I would definitely prefer to avoid it if I can. Chances are I won't be able to have the jeep ready by then anyway.

Today I stripped down my front dana 44 axle, cut off the C's and chopped the longside down. I still need to take it to a fab shop to have the tube ends turned down for the other C's I plan on using, weld the new C's on, put it back together, install gears/locker, weld on brackets, paint, and install the axle.

In the middle of all that, I have a family trip to Flaming Gorge and we're doing some major spring cleaning to try and get our house rented out.

oh great i'm screwed now.........i guess you'll just have to drive north and meet me now :D

Derek how many do you know of are planning to go? I have not seen Cory on here in a long time. Is he still active on here. I know he got a new job. Have you seen or heard from him lately. Who do you know that will allow us to go out the top? I have Zero interest in attempting to come back down that trail.

Derek how many do you know of are planning to go? I have not seen Cory on here in a long time. Is he still active on here. I know he got a new job. Have you seen or heard from him lately. Who do you know that will allow us to go out the top? I have Zero interest in attempting to come back down that trail.

for sure 5 w/ 2 maybe's i'm not expecting more than 10 to show tho(me included) yes i still talk to him he's still active just not as much cause of work. most the time i think he's out of service. and as it turns out all the land and the gate at the top is owned by my cousin through marriage family, and a close friend of theirs. i've been talking to them working out the details. so far its 70% that they'll let us through. still thinking of needing a back up plan just in case, you know anyone or just whats his name on RME? but i also think coming back down that trail is funner than going up :D

I have just always run it with the guy on RME. I know there are others that know it but it has always just been him that I go with. I am sure it is more fun going down just really hard on the rig and increased chances of more breakage or body damage. Neither of which I am a fan of. Do you mind if I invite one or two non XJs. Both are very capable.

Last edited:
I have just always run it with the guy on RME. I know there are others that know it but it has always just been him that I go with. I am sure it is more fun going down just really hard on the rig and increased chances of more breakage or body damage. Neither of which I am a fan of. Do you mind if I invite one or two non XJs. Both are very capable.
ok, well i'm planning on going out the top right now. and is their names the hares or members of bush eaters? :)
Not D30 friendly! Bring spares! LOL Then again, its not frozen now! LOL
Coming back down was fun! Even almost rolled it!
Still wish I had video of that one!

kevin did it, including a big wheelie with no issues on his 30 :laugh3:

ok, well i'm planning on going out the top right now. and is their names the hares or members of bush eaters? :)

Actually no. A couple of guys from St. George. Nic in his f toy and and bill in his Yellow JK. I understand if you only want it to be Naxja crew. Though it would be fun to have the Hares. It is always cool to see there rigs run.

Not Heavy foot friendly! Bring spares! LOL !

FIFY.

10 years and many many many hard trails and I have yet to break anything on a D30...other than a ring gear when I was being stupid trying to yank someone out in reverse.

I'd like to do this trail, just to say it could be done on 33's without body damage. Of course saying that I would be the one to roll...and brake a 30 shaft. :D

Actually no. A couple of guys from St. George. Nic in his f toy and and bill in his Yellow JK. I understand if you only want it to be Naxja crew. Though it would be fun to have the Hares. It is always cool to see there rigs run.

I disagree but we won't get into my opinion of the hares and their rigs. and i met bill once or twice seemed like a good guy and you talkin nic welby in his poser Ftoy? :D

FIFY.

10 years and many many many hard trails and I have yet to break anything on a D30...other than a ring gear when I was being stupid trying to yank someone out in reverse.

I'd like to do this trail, just to say it could be done on 33's without body damage. Of course saying that I would be the one to roll...and brake a 30 shaft. :D

hey i was easy on my 30 and i still went through 3 of them

and i know i could drive one through on 33's with lockers on both ends without damage or very minimal. so i'm sure it could be done, but it's one hell of a risk just to say you did it LOL

Back