• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon?

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I know there's interest out there for a Rubicon trip, but I don't think anyone's started plans yet and you know what good old Winston said, "He who fails to plan is planning to fail".

So! I'm open to just about anytime anyone else wants to go.

My first choice would be to leave Saturday, August 4th. We could hit the trail Sunday or Monday, hopefully when it's a little less crowded. Then, I would like to head down to SierraFest which starts on the 9th. It's about 2 hours south of Lake Tahoe in Hermit Valley. I'd probably start heading home Sunday morning.

I don't have to go then, if it doesn't work for someone else who's looking to tick the Rubicon off their "to-do" list.

Anyone? Anyone? :D

I would love to go. Doubtful, but there is always a chance. What kind of requirements of a rig would you typically need out of an xj to make it through?

I'd say 33" tires, front and rear lockers, and good sliders and skid plates at a minimum, but there are certainly more experienced opinions out there.

Yeah I doubt I would be ready need locker in the front and sliders for sure. I talked the woman into going camping for a few days at lake Tahoe later in the year if I could only talk her into letting me spend more money on the Jeep lol

I know my good friend that just moved from that area did most of the rubicon with just a limited slip in the rear on 35s with no problems. Hes a member on here Ill have to see if he will post up.

I'm planning on 33's (possibly 35's), front and rear lockers, a winch, heavy duty t-case skid and rocker guards.

Lockers vs. limited slip vs. open is greatly influenced by flex and picking the right line IMHO. Someone dumb like me who also suffers from poor flex ablilty needs traction aids while someone who can pick the right line, stick to it, and have enough flex to maintain traction, can get away with less help in the locker departement.

I have a no slip in the rear, really good flex in the front. Not sure how the RE 4.5 springs will be in the rear. I'm sure i will get better flex then AAL OE springs. lol

After watching vids for days with Moab fever, I have decided maybe If I get some body protection I would do rubicon. Seen a few going through with locked rear/open fronts

I don't know anyone that went this year. Some of the Colorado guys are planning a trip next year and invited us. There's a thread kicking around here somewhere.

I'm planning on going next year. If it comes down to choosing between the anniversary fall fling and the rubicon, I'm doing the rubicon.

I ran it this year with 33s and open rear. Rear locker would have made it easier

Wheelinscott I think was reffering to me.

I've run the trail a few times from loon to buck island and back out through loon.

My first time was 3" and 33s, open front and rear. I used my sliders a little bit and had to be spotted carefully through a few parts.

My other trips I was at 8" and my 35s still open front and rear and had no problems at all. Of course I wasn't running soup bowl or the box (lil sluice). Little sluice doesn't exist anymore so no problems there. :(

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365701478.272149.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365701280.072122.jpg

Well, if anyone is interested in a trip THIS year, I have a group running the Rubicon July 1-3.

We have 4 XJs going so far, ranging from 4" lift on 33s to 8" lift on 37s. Everyone is locked, skidded, winched, etc. Should be a good time!

I ran it in 2008 with ~6" lift and 33" tires, locked front and rear, sliders and skid protection. I took a pass on the more INTENSE obstacles and made it through comfortably. My brother-in-law ran it with 33" tires, 5" long arm lift and NO lockers, sliders or skids. Flex, go-arounds and good lines got him through without pulling a line, so it can be done. He did take some body damage though...

Yes, I suppose it will be a busy week, but not as bad as EJS :D

The plan right now is to either sleep at the trailhead Sunday night or start from Reno at 4am on Monday. Maybe if we're on the trail early we can get ahead of the crowd...

You should come!

I did fail to mention, we'll be taking the gremlins with us. I have 3 of my boys coming (10, 7 & 5) and there will be about 4 others between ages 7 and 4. The womenfolk are taking a pass this year, but any that want to come along are welcome.

Headed up to loon lake!
ydunarum.jpg

Back