• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wireless electricity

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wondering how far it's come since a long time ago when I saw something similar that NASA was doin and here it is. Apparently it's not too far away.

IIRC Tesla beat them to that years ago, that what he planned to use what we now call the Tesla Coil for.

There was just no way for his employers to bill customers for the electricity used, so it was scrapped.....................

I thought tesla used raw voltage to arc from point a to b, or at least that's what's normally thought of when thinking of tesla. This uses electromagnetic waves. I've always wondered why you couldn't transmit enough power via electromag waves to run devices like tv's and computers... apparently you can. Wonder what the hold up is.

my high school physics teacher demonstrated this in like 2001. It is a normal experiment used in a discussion about electromagnetic fields.

Haha I think my sonicare tooth brush that I had in about 2001 recharged using this technology. I used to look all over the thing for electrical contacts but I never found any so as far as I know this is how it did it. It would be really cool just to set your phone in the cup holder or whatever and it be charging :cool:

Haha I think my sonicare tooth brush that I had in about 2001 recharged using this technology. I used to look all over the thing for electrical contacts but I never found any so as far as I know this is how it did it. It would be really cool just to set your phone in the cup holder or whatever and it be charging :cool:

i had the same toothbrush

Effeciency? Me too. I'm guessing it'll take a few watts to transmit the waves just like it would a radio station, of course on a much smaller scale. But if you compare that to the loss through a copper wire then who knows how it would compare :dunno:

this is just marketing hype. I'm an electrical engineer. This has been used for years but there is one BIG problem. The strength of the electrical field falls off as the inverse of the square of the distance. For those of you who aren't math inclined.....every time you double the distance from the source to the receiver, the power transfered is one fourth as much.

I like his statement that it isn't transmitting but rather transferring. That is BS. How do they think it gets transferred?

That toothbrush charges by induction.

Tom has it right, at the moment, it's a distance thing. Emag is radiated, and doesn't direct well at all.

Yeah it would use A LOT of energy to get that kind of elictrical current to travel any distance!

Which would be why in the NASA experiment I saw they used a laser to power the device?

the video you posted does not show a laser powering anything. It does not show much other than appliances running with no cords. Which is very easy to do, as noted earlier any physics teacher can set up in 20 minutes. The problem is that it radiates too much. Like every other electromagnetic wave it loses power inversely. So they probably had quite a few generators handy.

Nasa is trying to get the power transmission to ride the laser beam, or to beam like the laser. But I have not heard of any major breakthroughs recently. If they can accomplish that then they could better direct the power. If you saw another experiment other than the Tech fair wow the masses show you posted, did they comment about it? If they did not and you just saw the dot, then I would say it was more than likely an aiming device. Since you cannot see the energy, it is probably used to help orient the transmitter to the reciever if they are trying to focus the transmission.

Note: I do not have sound on this laptop so I just flicked through the video. I have seen it before on the science channel so there is nothing new. Also, anyone ever stood near a LARGE Tesla Coil? You can feel the electrical energy on your skin. Wierd.

this is just marketing hype. I'm an electrical engineer. This has been used for years but there is one BIG problem. The strength of the electrical field falls off as the inverse of the square of the distance. For those of you who aren't math inclined.....every time you double the distance from the source to the receiver, the power transfered is one fourth as much.

I like his statement that it isn't transmitting but rather transferring. That is BS. How do they think it gets transferred?

Exactly. Obviously "wireless electricity" exists in some sense. Our world would be a very different place without emag phenomena. The problem is being able to get a useful amount of power transmitted any sort of distance without enormous(and dangerous) amounts of power at the transmitter.

Also, anyone ever stood near a LARGE Tesla Coil? You can feel the electrical energy on your skin. Wierd.

<grin> Google for zeusaphone. A friend of mine from IL has been building Tesla coils for a few years now, and with solid state switching, he and another gent have been getting music out of a couple of Tesla coils. The coils they plan on building will be running on 480 3phase.

Back