• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silicone hoses

A good hose has the spring molded into the rubber so it can't go flat.
This also makes it smooth inside and covers the wire for increased flow and less rust.

langer1 said:
A good hose has the spring molded into the rubber so it can't go flat.
This also makes it smooth inside and covers the wire for increased flow and less rust.
I know, but I'm asking about silicone hoses, not rubber. I've never actually gotten my hands on any, so I don't know if they're inherently stiffer.

Timber said:
I know, but I'm asking about silicone hoses, not rubber. I've never actually gotten my hands on any, so I don't know if they're inherently stiffer.
I don't think it's stiffer. It still needs the spring inside or molded in.

Silicone typically isn't stiffer - just more resistant to erosion from underhood fluids.

I'd wanted to call them when I saw the ad, but my schedule just doesn't allow it (school 12-16 hours/day.) If you call them, would you let the rest of us know?

If they don't do it, Eaton and Parker-Hannifin do stainless support coils (which aren't springs - they're wound from flat) that can be stuck into pretty much anything that's big enough to take them. Radiator hoses should be no trouble.

5-90

Just started looking at those silicone options. They seem to have better pressure handling but nowhere have I found how they handle suction. That lower hose is required to function both under pressure and under vacum, hence the spring inside for the minus PSI. I don't know how well it would work.
Personally if I was going to go to the expense I'd consider a stainless tube with flex joints at both ends, you see them on alot of hot rods and I have seen them both bent to fit and corrugated kind of like that stuff they use on exhaust systems.
Here is a silicone site you might want to look at
http://www.turbohoses.com/

5-90 said:
I'm thinking about making copper tubing replacements (like my heater lines,) and I'm sure they'll be less than that!

5-90
Got any pics of those copper heater lines. Would look trick with a little Brasso and elbow grease.

Bradlybob said:
Got any pics of those copper heater lines. Would look trick with a little Brasso and elbow grease.

There's a pic on my website - they look a little hokey, but once I refine the measurements (I had to get the ones I've done now stomped up in a hurry - I'll clean the idea up when I'm restomodding the 89 Limited...) but you'll get the idea.

They're explained as well - so look under "Works in Progress by Works in Progress." There's a hi-res pic, just click the little one. I'll be able to offer them for RENIX - for anything later, I'll need a donor/guinea pig or a week or so to design them...

5-90

$180? I should have looked around more before I even asked. I usually do, but obviously I didn't this time. Crap; that's a lot of money for hoses.

Silicone is expensive for almost any application. Just ask any woman who's had a boob job....

Copper has a very low fatigue limit. It work hardens with very little bending/vibration. I’m not sure I would use it and if I did I would anneal it after bending it to shape. Not trying to bring you down just something to consider.

Not to worry - I'm aware of that.

Fortunately, copper (and its alloys) is easy to anneal - and the parts I'm going to be using aren't too large. Also, that's the reason for using "vibration stubs" - the short bits of rubber hose between the copper run and whatever it's attached to.

5-90

BRX Hoses are 5 ply vs. NO ply , and the plys are made of nomex and or polyester depending on application. The upper and lower hoses are hand wrapped 5 times then baked at 350 degrees so the silicone can cure. We then check for leaks, and pressure check them. The hoses are LIFETIME WARRANTY, and also come with the heater core hoses.

I designed them after watching people with 35k Jeeps with $6 hoses on them blow up on trails and dump coolant everywhere. Besides , they also run cooler too....LOL

Any questions , drop me a line or find me at a Jeepspeed race..

The Head Hoser

Back