• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar and Steering

JonnyCat63

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
picture.php
picture.php

Having lots of time to work on my 99 2dr build, I wanted to get some opinions on what to do with my track bar. I think I know what I want to do, but it doesn't hurt to ask around.

So, I'm doing the IRO 3 link rock trac, IRO truss, and IRO double shear track bar set up. Did the WJ knuckle swap with custom steering from Parts Mike.

I'm real happy with the steering set up and angles, everything looks good, including the stock pitman arm.

As you can see from the picture, the track bar is way off. It looks like I need to fab and weld up a mount higher up on the truss to get my drag link and track bar parallel. The axle mount right now is just under the tie rod. Barely shows in the picture. I'll also need to fab up or order a custom track bar.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone have experience with the IRO truss or a similar set up to what I'm doing? Did you run into this issue with the track bar? What was your solution?

2. What about the differences in length of the track bar vs. the drag link? Right now my drag link measures at about 34-1/2" center to center, while the track bar is at 33-1/4". If I move the mount up, the track bar will be about 30" or so. Should I worry about that much of a difference?

3. I was looking at the Ironman offset track bar mount. It moves the frame side mount over and out a bit. Thinking of using that, or modifying the IRO mount I have. Anyone have experience using the Ironman mount? If I use the Ironman mount, my track bar will get a little longer, but not by much.

Any input would be appreciated.

Where are you finding this recommendation for the track bar and drag link to be the same LENGTH ? Your primary consideration, and what you should be attempting to achieve, is to have the track bar and the drag link end points to be as nearly PARALLEL as possible. Equal length is a much less critical consideration.

How much lift are you working with, and what are the lift component and steering specifics; long arms, short arms, control arm drop brackets, OTK steering, etc ? What symptoms or bad behaviors are you trying to cure ?

My 2000 is at 5.5" of lift with stock steering ( I know, not ideal, but it works in Moab ), short control arms with drop brackets, and the IRO double shear track bar. I drive 1,260 miles to Moab, have 6 days of fun, and drive 1,260 miles home, no problem.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
No pics for me either, maybe post a link?

Not here, but I can view them thru your profile page. You definitely need to do something with the track-bar. They do make raised axle side mounts for the WJ set-up.

Where are you finding this recommendation for the track bar and drag link to be the same LENGTH ? Your primary consideration, and what you should be attempting to achieve, is to have the track bar and the drag link end points to be as nearly PARALLEL as possible. Equal length is a much less critical consideration.

Yes, I understand that. Sorry about the picture not coming through, when you see it, it will make more sense. According to Dallas at StinkyFab, and many others I have encountered during my research, there are 3 orders of importance. 1. TB and DL must be parallel. 2. Should be as close to horizontal as possible. 3. Should be equal in length as possible.
I was just asking if the difference in length was a major concern. Nobody seems to know what the limits are in difference of length and how much can you get away with. The differences in length were posted in the OP. I realize if I move the axle side mount up, it will shorten the track bar.
Is it worth it to try and modify, or buy the Ironman mount, in order to move the mount out and get slightly more length in the TB?

How much lift are you working with, and what are the lift component and steering specifics; long arms, short arms, control arm drop brackets, OTK steering, etc ? What symptoms or bad behaviors are you trying to cure ?

Most of that was in the OP, but here are more specifics.
1. The Rock Trac from IRO is a true 3 link long arm.
2. About 5" of lift.
3. WJ knuckle swap with OTK 1 ton steering. 33" tires
4. This is a new build and I'm trying to avoid any problems with bump steer. I have a little bit of bump steer on my other 2 built XJ's and want to avoid it as much as possible on this one.

I appreciate any input.

My 2000 is at 5.5" of lift with stock steering ( I know, not ideal, but it works in Moab ), short control arms with drop brackets, and the IRO double shear track bar. I drive 1,260 miles to Moab, have 6 days of fun, and drive 1,260 miles home, no problem.

Not here, but I can view them thru your profile page. You definitely need to do something with the track-bar. They do make raised axle side mounts for the WJ set-up.

I don't know why they are not coming through, darn it. They look great on my browser! LOL!

Yeah, I'm going to have to move the axle side up. Just curious how shortening the TB by about 4 inches will affect the steering.

Is it worth it to try and modify and move the frame side bracket to get slightly more length? Or just leave the existing bracket alone.

Where are you finding this recommendation for the track bar and drag link to be the same LENGTH ? Your primary consideration, and what you should be attempting to achieve, is to have the track bar and the drag link end points to be as nearly PARALLEL as possible. Equal length is a much less critical consideration. /QUOTE]

When Goatman and Cal built 4643, they made an effort to extend the track bar so it was the same length as the draglink, an idea that Blaine, from Savvy/Black Magic, had used before. Three people whose equipment works and opinions I value.
Keeping the track bar and drag link the same length and parallel prevents big changes in the steering geometry as the suspension cycles. While a shorter track bar isn't terrible, keeping it the same length is even better, providing more accurate steering and less bump steer.

2012-01-17_20-05-12_421.jpg

2012-01-08_16-28-08_643.jpg

Nothing to contribute regarding track bar design, but pics are coming through just fine for me. All of them.

Got a better picture of that setup? Is it still an inverted Y link? Looks like draglink and tie rod in that pic to me? Looks like a poor and WJ knuckle from that pic.

My track bar is a shorty... but it’s perfectly on plane at ride height with the drag link. The mount is HIGH on the axle side to accomplish this

Last edited:
The setup we did on 4643 is the best way for sure, but you are too far along to make that work without redoing a lot.

I would advise this kit.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/products/sfr-otk-track-bar-kit-for-jeep-xj-mj-zj

You will need to grind the axle side bracket and your truss a little to make them work but it will work

Thanks, Cal. I was actually looking at that setup, too. No problem on the fab on the axle side. Easy enough for me to do. Looks like the StinkyFab Frame bracket is offset a bit to the front. Is that correct?

The other option was to use the Ironman frame side bracket, and then fab up an axle side bracket from some 1/4". Then ordering or making a custom trackbar.
Not sure what to do about the joints, though. I like the StinkyFab setup, but I'm not too keen on the heim. Any other joints you might recommend?

I did see your setup on 4643 when I was doing research. You're right, I'm not wanting to go that far if I can help it.

The bracket is offset a little toward the front of the car yes, but not as much as you probably think it is. The bracket is built to take a 2 5/8" wide joint so that you can use a larger johnny joint or heim if you choose - since it is wider than other brackets it looks WAY further forward.

The bracket is offset a little toward the front of the car yes, but not as much as you probably think it is. The bracket is built to take a 2 5/8" wide joint so that you can use a larger johnny joint or heim if you choose - since it is wider than other brackets it looks WAY further forward.

Cool. I'm going to check that one out and maybe order it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

The setup we did on 4643 is the best way for sure, but you are too far along to make that work without redoing a lot.

I would advise this kit.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/products/sfr-otk-track-bar-kit-for-jeep-xj-mj-zj

You will need to grind the axle side bracket and your truss a little to make them work but it will work

I just installed the SFR axle trackbar bracket on a D30 that I trussed and gusseted for a friend. It's a great piece and the complete SFR trackbar kit will get you where you need to be.

I just installed the SFR axle trackbar bracket on a D30 that I trussed and gusseted for a friend. It's a great piece and the complete SFR trackbar kit will get you where you need to be.

Cool, thank you. Looking into that setup right now.

And thanks for the info on my wheel size thread. Looking into wheels, too.

I'll report back what I find on both threads soon.

Update. Shout out to Dallas at StinkyFab. Traded emails with him on Monday. Really helpful, answered all my questions in a timely manner. Ordered the 2 brackets on Monday evening, and they arrived today. Great service! Thanks to Cal, too, for recommending StinkyFab's brackets. I have used parts from Dallas before, so I knew of the quality.

picture.php
picture.php

I decided to modify the axle side bracket and cut into my truss a little bit. Got it as far over as I could without hitting the coil bucket.

picture.php
picture.php

Ready to burn in.

picture.php

Burned in. Added a little gusset for strength.

picture.php
picture.php

Now it says "Ron Rock Off Road!" One of a kind, I guess. Pay no attention to the paint runs. That was done by the company that set up my axles. They did a nice job, just got a little happy with the spray can. Yes, I'm going to sand it out and re-paint it.

picture.php

Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The trackbar is still about 5" shorter than the draglink. I'm hoping that will be fine. The angles are pretty slight, only about 2-1/2 to 3 degrees of slope. If it doesn't work out, I'll try out the Ironman bracket to see it it will stretch it a bit.

As far as the new track bar goes, I have my Johnny Joint for the frame side, and I'm waiting on my poly-bushing rod end for the axle side. When that comes in, I'll order up a new piece of 1-1/4" x .250 DOM from Parts Mike. It will be threaded on both ends and match the drag link and tie rod. Keeping everything consistent.

I'll report back when I get that installed and post more pics, too.

Back