• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk Yard Score, Folding Front Seats

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Me and a good XJ friend ventured forth to the junk yard today and got the front seats from a 1990 XJ Laredo Two Door to put in my Four Door XJ. Same upholstery fabric as in my 1990 Four Door Laredo. These seats from a Two Door fold forward, not so with Four Door seats..

This will give me more space length wise to sleep in my jeep when I move the new seats full forward and seat back folded forward. The folded seat will be a good place to place my pillow. With the stock seat, even slid full forward, I only have a few inches between the seat back and my head, when my feet are at the rear hatch. This is because the front seat in the four door XJs do not fold.

Been searching for a while, Two Door XJs are not near as great in number as the Four Door. Much less finding an early body style XJ is difficult enough at the wrecker.

Condition wise the new passenger seat is ok looking after some cleaning, drivers upholstery is torn, but my old seat upholstery should fit on the new Two Door seats just fine. Only mods needed for the upolstery swap are cutting some material to fit the lock lever and latch.

I am very very happy today, been searching a long time.

Maybe someone can help me find a trim part for the new seats....
On the new seats, the plastic trim surrounding the seat back tilt lock release is missing or cracked. Does anyone know of a seller for these trim pieces, perhaps called a bezel, or lever surround?

Happy Days!

I did something similar in my '00 XJ. I saw a picture of the hinge from a TJ that has the lever so the upper part of the seat can fold forward. Having taken apart my 4 door seats enough times I knew what the hinge looked like and they looked very similar. Found one on Ebay cheap enough to give it a try. It worked. Mine is more for if I need a couple extra inches to transport something a little longer in the Jeep. Really hate dealing with ratchet straps and putting stuff on the roof.

Anyway looking in my '88 to '90 parts catalog I think I know what you are talking about but not sure. I would screen shot for you but without a 3rd person photo thing you can't do that here. And I have no reason for one other then to be able to do that here so I am not getting one. LOL.

Having a part number sometimes helps. If nothing else gives you something to Google.
Frankly I am thinking that is going to be a tough find.

So go here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/research-249236/

Read a little of it and get the parts catalog. You will want to look in the Group 43 section.

maybe someone's got a file for 3d-printing that plastic bit?

Me and a good XJ friend ventured forth to the junk yard today and got the front seats from a 1990 XJ Laredo Two Door to put in my Four Door XJ. Same upholstery fabric as in my 1990 Four Door Laredo. These seats from a Two Door fold forward, not so with Four Door seats..

This will give me more space length wise to sleep in my jeep when I move the new seats full forward and seat back folded forward. The folded seat will be a good place to place my pillow. With the stock seat, even slid full forward, I only have a few inches between the seat back and my head, when my feet are at the rear hatch. This is because the front seat in the four door XJs do not fold.

Been searching for a while, Two Door XJs are not near as great in number as the Four Door. Much less finding an early body style XJ is difficult enough at the wrecker.

Condition wise the new passenger seat is ok looking after some cleaning, drivers upholstery is torn, but my old seat upholstery should fit on the new Two Door seats just fine. Only mods needed for the upolstery swap are cutting some material to fit the lock lever and latch.

I am very very happy today, been searching a long time.

Maybe someone can help me find a trim part for the new seats....
On the new seats, the plastic trim surrounding the seat back tilt lock release is missing or cracked. Does anyone know of a seller for these trim pieces, perhaps called a bezel, or lever surround?

Happy Days!

So how did the project go? You found the seats from the 2-door, and I'm assuming they bolted right down to your 4-door XJ? Or did you have to unmount the seat and bolt them down to your 4-doors seat mounts?

Sooo looking fwd to this same mod.

thanks

So how did the project go? You found the seats from the 2-door, and I'm assuming they bolted right down to your 4-door XJ? Or did you have to unmount the seat and bolt them down to your 4-doors seat mounts?

thanks

The seat bases are exactly the same 2 door and 4 door unless you're comparing pre 95 to post 95.

As for a Comanche seat swap, XJ and MJ bases mount to the cab different but the seat frame itself will bolt to whatever base you need as long as it is pre 95.

You can also swap the rocker seat bases into your XJ without issue.

thanks

direct bolt on fit 2 door verses 4 door front seats Note...Mine came from same year model I have already enjoyed the extra room on a trip that folding seats provide, plus it allows access to items near behind the folding seats from front door. jeep should have offered this option.

Back