• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange wheel wobble hop when going over speed bumps & turning slow

XJ Buddy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi NAXJA, I recently bought a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport 4x4 that appears to be well taken care of. The only issue its having is when I go slowly over speed bumps in my apartment complex this weird wheel wobble starts. It feels like it’s coming from the passenger front wheel for sure and it happens when I go over speed bumps and turn around. It feels like something is loose but I am not sure what to check for? I did some searching and it sounds like it might be the Balljoints? The Jeep has fairly new tires and drives great besides the occasional slow speed wobble. Do I need shocks?

Please let me know if you have any ideas…

Thanks for the ideas, its strange because besides this low speed wheel wobble the Jeep feels really pretty tight when you turn and drive it, the steering is not real loose or anything.

As I said in the other forum you posted in ;), check your ball joints

To do so: jack one side of the axle up, grab the tire at the top and bottom, and try to wiggle it... see if you can move it by hand.. shouldn't be able to

Also check hubs while you are at it

To do so: while jacked up, grab the sides, see if you can move it around up/down/left/right... if you can you probably have hub issues (may have both hub and ball joint issues at the same time like I did).

To do so: while jacked up, grab the sides, see if you can move it around up/down/left/right... if you can you probably have hub issues (may have both hub and ball joint issues at the same time like I did).

Awesome, I am going to check it out soon as it cools off outside, Orange County has been crazy HOT the past couple days. Thanks again for the info / tips

Last edited:
Stay away from those fires!

What do they call those hot winds? Santa Anas?

I remember those scorching hot days and then the friggin hot winds adding more misery.

Why did God create So. Cal.? He couldn't get anymore building permits in Hell!

Back