• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring the corvette fan temp switch

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have my 91+ tstat cover, my corvette fan temp switch (Standard part #ts915) and my taurus fan is in. The temp switch has 2 terminals. I'm guessing that the switch is grounded through the body and the 2 terminals are for a 12v wire - one end coming from +12v and the other triggering the relay for the fan? I hate guessing. Whoever has done this, how have you wired it up?

What brand is that switch? As far as I know, the vette switch is not grounded,ie; neither of the terminals will go to ground hot or cold. It is a simple on-off switch that connects both the terminals together at the pre-set temperature. It is easy to check using an OHM meter.

if it only has two terminals, one terminal is line(or supply), the other is for load(or the device being switched, like a fan motor or relay). a better way to figure it out would be to check continuity with the switch on, then off. the continuity should change.

MONSTERxbla said:
if it only has two terminals, one terminal is line(or supply), the other is for load(or the device being switched, like a fan motor or relay). a better way to figure it out would be to check continuity with the switch on, then off. the continuity should change.

X2.

Sorry I did not answer your question. MONSTERxbla is correct.

fuzzydog said:
OK, I have my 91+ tstat cover, my corvette fan temp switch (Standard part #ts915) and my taurus fan is in. The temp switch has 2 terminals. I'm guessing that the switch is grounded through the body and the 2 terminals are for a 12v wire - one end coming from +12v and the other triggering the relay for the fan? I hate guessing. Whoever has done this, how have you wired it up?

:wow: It's been a long day.... I can't believe I posted that about the grounding through the body....:doh:

You guys are right, of course, simple on off - one terminal gets 12v, the other goes to the fan relay. Thanks for the wake up

OK, now I've got one for ya....The local NAPA has sold me a "corvette" switch for this conversion, and it only has one terminal...hence it is a ground at 210 deg. anyone ever use one of these? or should i try to find a similar Borg-Warner or niehoff switch w/ the two terminals?

A two wire is always better instead of a one wire switch. I had a Neihoff switch number but I cannot find it. It was for a 185* on and 170* off.

OK, now I've got one for ya....The local NAPA has sold me a "corvette" switch for this conversion, and it only has one terminal...hence it is a ground at 210 deg. anyone ever use one of these? or should i try to find a similar Borg-Warner or niehoff switch w/ the two terminals?
The ground type switch will work but the hot wire will always be hot full length. I personally prefer two wire switches but that one will work. I suggest using a relay and using the switch to complete the ground of the coil circuit of the relay. This way the wire is only hot when the switch is activated.

thks jeeperjohn, that's what I figured I would have to do if I couldn't find the other switches.....If I am successful, I will post it here. At least I have a Factory wiring manual to go to for the schematics. It appears that the switch from Borg-Warner may be obsolete, and I haven't been able to locate a Niehoff dealer yet for that particular # that's listed on the older threads. BTW, this fan switch I have is a NAPA/Echlin unit listed for 84 up corvette w/350 eng grp.

thks jeeperjohn, that's what I figured I would have to do if I couldn't find the other switches.....If I am successful, I will post it here. At least I have a Factory wiring manual to go to for the schematics. It appears that the switch from Borg-Warner may be obsolete, and I haven't been able to locate a Niehoff dealer yet for that particular # that's listed on the older threads. BTW, this fan switch I have is a NAPA/Echlin unit listed for 84 up corvette w/350 eng grp.
If you can't find a suitable wiring diagram, lemme know and I will draw one up for you. Oh and SCOUTS OUT!!

Back