• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 axle shaft broke could have been really bad

DaveB

NAXJA Forum User
A little while ago the wife was driving my 86/92 XJ around town and after coming off the freeway she was going through a dip at the bottom of our street and the rear axle busted off at the wheel mounting flange and the wheel came off. I had a spare axle shaft so I was able to fix it in the street and get her home but it made me concerned about the strength of the axles. When I took it home and looked at the failure I saw that the rear axle shaft is not actually one solid piece. The wheel flange and the axle shaft are tapered and splined like an old AMC 20 axle and the two are welded together out on the end. The weld failed on my axle which let the wheel flange come off.

I wanted to know if the later models of axles came with "real " solid one piece shafts. I have a 91 dana 35 and a 93 8.25 axles laying around so should I swap the shafts from the 91 or swap out the entire axle to the 93 ? I have stock 4.10 gears in mine with trac-lock in the rear and the newer axles are 3.55.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave

Not sure about that but....

are you sure the bearings did not heat it up and weaken it? al the breaks I have seen have been in the pumpkin.

Axle shaft didn't heat up

The bearings were fine and showed no signs of problems. The shaft came apart at the tapered part where the wheel flange connects to the axle shaft. I have the old shaft and hub at home and you can see where the weld broke allowing the two pieces to come apart. I am just hoping that the newer axle shafts are built as a single solid piece so that this can't happen.

Dave

Back