• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UJ on rear drive shaft broke! Fixable?

choptrees

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...

98 Cherokee, 4" lift, 150,000 kms, auto

The slip yoke on my rear drive shaft (transfer case end) has a big hole in it. The cup that goes over the ball of the slip yoke is the piece that's bust. I'm hoping to find a new piece... Or should I not bother and just replace the shaft? UJ number is C2-26-309, should be able to find parts for that? Right? Problem being that the back axle of my Jeep is an Explorer and I'm not sure whether I have to mod the shaft to fit. Sorry for the description, was going to post a pic, but I have no idea how!

All help appreciated. Thx

if you rebuild it yourself it will be around 75-100 bucks for the parts.

Get an account with imageshack/photobucket/etc., upload some photos, then post up a link here so we can see what you are dealing with.

photo2.jpg
photo.jpg

In your picture there appears to be damage to the portion welded to the driveshaft. I would get a new shaft, though you may have to have it lengthened or shortened as you noted before. Bring the old shaft to whatever shop you have do the work and they should be able to use it as a base for measurements.

Thought I'd be in for a new shaft... ah well. Thanks for the help. Next dumb question... What year of drive shafts fit a 98 Cherokee? Can I throw any old thing on there, or does it have to be a certain year to fit the 98, bearing in mind I'm going to have it shortened anyway. I was wondering if the number of splines is different on older models? The other end of the drive shaft (the end that ain't broken) is original to the Cherokee and is fitted to a Spicer 134-X UJ that mounts to a 96 Explorer rear diff. So as I understand it I'm going Cherokee to Cherokee with the drive shaft. So I need a new male piece complete with UJ.

Now that I think about it, that's a custom shaft... not a stock one. That is the style of shaft you get with a non-hack-n-tap slip yoke eliminator since it has the flange there instead of a standard CV yoke attachment point.

I have little experience with that (i.e. none other than reading about it) so you should listen to someone else, but my bet is that you will have to get a custom shaft or have that one repaired using the parts listed above.

you want cheap or easy?

Cheap:
Goto junkyard, pull front driveshaft from an XJ. Scalp it's cardan joint for the flange/centering yoke bits you need. Rebuild with new u-joints (regular 1310) and centering yoke rebuild kit. It does not look as though the ears welded to the driveshaft tube are damaged to me, just the yoke and flange. The centering yoke rebuild kit will come with new needle bearings and a new seal. Just file down the little nick in the seal surface on your driveshaft and run it.

easy:
Goto driveshaft shop, tell them to fix it, write big check.

you may also want to call a few of the online houses and get some pricing, just to keep the local place honest.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

http://highangledriveline.com/

Both of those companies would be able to build you a shaft and mail it to you. Get out your tape measure and measure the length and tell them what your vehicle is and how high it's lifted. They could get you a proper fitting shaft.

I'll go with easy... found driveshaft shop... now i need to find my check book

Looking at your photo... I think you need to do laundry too.

Back