• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something just broke in my ignition switch!

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
stopped at a satellite po to drop off and when I came out I could turn everything on like usual but when the key gets to the spring loaded momentary part for the starter it has no resistance and just rolls forward without engaging the starter! I rolled under there and jumped the solenoid so I can finish the route but what do I need to look at when I get home? Is it all right there with the tumbler or does it have a rod with a separate switch like an old Chevy? This is my 95 rhd, I never move the tilt function and everything in the column is tight. i have the tamper proof torx set so I can pull the switch apart and check it out later.

The switch is under the column like a Chevy.

I believe there is the 'tumbler', a transfer rod and the electronic board. I have replaced the electronic board or is it a switch relay. I'd check NAPA's price on that one. I think $50 for the Echlin.

It definitely feels like I'm not moving anything other than the tumbler. It had a remote switch directly to the solenoid when I got it, I wonder if the po had a similar problem. Wish I would of left it in!

Back