• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix distributor index, NO start now!

Base2Final

NAXJA Forum User
1990 Jeep XJ 4.0.

Did the Dizzy reindex per ( at least I believe it did ) per Cruisers54’s instructions. I’ll ad pics of what I’ve done. Anyhow, put it all back together and cranks but no start. 🙄

I literally just drove it last night and started the indexing a few hours later. Ran better but had all the indications listed on Cruisers suggestions it needed the indexing.
Checked and rechecked the procedure, rechecked #1 TDC, .020 from the trailing edge of the rotor clockwise etc...

-Tested the new CPS, it gets the 5 Vac.
- Tested the spark from Coil to Dizzy cap, no spark.
( did the coil/ICM refresh few days ago )
- Removed the coil and tested ICM pins. 12+ Volts at the positive ignition on and .00 ohms at the ground.
- Testing the coil between the Positve and Negative I get 0 ohms (Not sure that’s good?)

When I initially pulled the distributor I noticed it had no O-ring or gasket of any kind. I reinstalled it with a new O-ring (per Cruisers instructions) It was a little thicker O-ring than the pic I saw, it seemed. Does the Distributor ground to the Motor by chance?

I have read different values for the coil testing at different places.

I ordered a new Coil but won’t be in till tomorrow. Just seeing if I tested the coil correctly and wonder if anyone else has any input. I changed something with this indexing just can figure what I screwed up. 🤦*♂️
cdceb5ac67ea21f1a1a2e2281677af0f.jpg
5e4fc7743197f67e7ecbeae9fe36feff.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought it might be worth mentioning in addition to my first. Motor is a recent rebuild, about 30 miles now. All new sensors and then some. Also , Crusier numbers 1,3,5,7,8 and 21 were done.

No offense, but you did put the rotor back on didn't you??:wave1:

Don't bother to ask how I know to check this.

Nothing new really. Just realized of all the vehicles I’ve owned. All but one were from the late 80’s mid 90’s.. 69 Bug, 91’ Boosted Suburban, 94’ 4Runner, 94’ Landcruiser, amd another 93’ Cherokee for about 8 weeks, This one is by FAR The biggest POS I’ve ever delt with. I, for the first time ever have plenty of money and time to put into this and it has 100% been a HUGE waste of both. I’ve literally spent the last 4 weeks dickin with this turd running in circles chasing one thing after another. More than half my time reading useless forums all saying the same thing and Most ALL with out a conclusion LMAO!

To say I am insanely frustrated is an understatement

I unplugged the CPS and plugged it back in to
Get it started. Loose pin. Still runs like sh*t though...

I think many of us can understand that. Lot's of folks come to forums with an issue and never "close out" with the solution.

Speaking for myself, I sometimes overlook the obvious or miss something in my troubleshooting. Heck, sometimes I can't find my glasses when they're on top of my head.

My '88 makes my head spin sometimes

A few details on what you did that finally got you going is most appreciated.

Glad you got it going!

Anyone know of a scanner like the MT2500 or other I can look for? I am not finding a MT2500 anywhere and ole Nick won’t have his product for a month or two

Check ebay. Make sure they include the Jeep adapter and proper cartridge.

Back