• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case indicator ???

Sig Ep Mock

NAXJA Forum User
OK just installed a new 231HD from JB conversions into my 92 XJ to replace the 231J. Everything seems great except that when it's in 2 wheel drive the PART TIME light is on and when in 4 high or low the light goes out.....just the opposite of what it should do. What do I need to do? Linkage seems to be adjusted right the lever lines up perfect with each gear selection just the light is backwards.

Help????:bawl:

Thanks,

Chris

OK talked with JB Conversions and they don't know why it would be backwards but they did give me a part number for a GM sensor that will work the opposite of the Jeep sensor. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Chris

Anyone know the part number for the stock Jeep sensor..??..I'll just grab both when I'm at the parts store to be sure.

Thanks,

Chris

ok had a chance to climb under the Jeep and check a few things out. Compared to the transfer case I took out of the Jeep.....when in 2 wheel the shift cam is open...then when in 4 high or 4 low the cam rotates and pushes up on the switch when it's in neutral there is a low spot on the shift cam....the JB conversions TC is seems to be off by one click forward towards the front of the Jeep ...when in 2wd the cam pushes up on switch when in 4 high there is a low spot when in neutral it pushes up again and then when in 4 low the cam is moved away..not pushing up......:rattle: The stock switch is normally open then closes the circuit when the ball is pushed in......The GM switch is normally closed and then opens the circuit when the ball is pushed in....:hang:

I have two problems with putting in the GM switch....1) the GM plug is slightly different than the Jeep switch and won't plug in with out some slight modifications.....2) Is the JB conversions TC wrong? If the shift cam is off in the JB conversions TC....it makes me think what else is wrong???? I've never had a 231 apart....is it that easy to rotate the shift cam piece? Is there something else off in the TC or am I fine?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Check THIS thread on Jeep Forum. It covers using the GM switch in the Rubicon transfer case. The pigtail may be the one you need. HTH.

Check THIS thread on Jeep Forum. It covers using the GM switch in the Rubicon transfer case. The pigtail may be the one you need. HTH.

Thanks Mike. I was able to modify the pigtail slightly (cut slots to match GM switch) to make it work....so now the light is off in 2 wheel drive but on in 4 hi, neutral, and 4 lo.....I'll call JB Conversions tomorrow and see what they say. It works sort of and I can live with it as long as I am possitive there is nothing else wrong with the TC.:sure:

Thanks again everyone for the help,

Chris

OK talked with John at JB COnversations today and after a good discussion I am convinced I should be ok with the GM switch as I have it installed. Basically they build the 231HD's all the same with the "sector" as it is installed on mine which appears to be different than the stock XJ 231. Thanks for all the help guys.

Chris

Back