• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel bearings or drum brakes? 8.25 sqeaky wheel..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
When I drive my XJ its been sounding like an old mattress with squeaky springs in the rear of the Jeep. So I automatically think its the right rear leafsprings, but no the noise is coming from behind the wheel. When I push on the Jeep or the rear wheel it makes the sound (the old rusty springs sound) so it has to be the axle berings or brakes, yes?

Anyone have an idea what it actually might be?

The wife's camry made that sound whenever it was wet out. Pulled the drums and found that they were full of crud. I just replaced the drums while I was down there, as one was a little out of round. Problem fixed. I'd pull the drums and clean them out well with some brake cleaner, and check that your brake cylinder isn't leaking.
While you've got the wheel off spin the assembly slowly and feel for drag or grinding.

87manche said:
The wife's camry made that sound whenever it was wet out. Pulled the drums and found that they were full of crud. I just replaced the drums while I was down there, as one was a little out of round. Problem fixed. I'd pull the drums and clean them out well with some brake cleaner, and check that your brake cylinder isn't leaking.
While you've got the wheel off spin the assembly slowly and feel for drag or grinding.

I know I should know, but what all is involved in taking the drums off? jack the axle up, take the wheel off, then what?

Also if I feel grinding, etc do I need to replace the shoes or the drums or both?

I took mine off the MJ over the weekend to inspect. It's simply.
Jack up the rear, put the frame rail on a jackstand. Pull the wheel.
If your drum brakes are in good working order you should be able to pull the drum with little effort, mine slid right off, as soon as I realized that I needed to release the parking brake.:)
Make sure you chock the front wheels, and I put the Mj in 4WD and leave it in first. You don't want it rolliing off the jackstand while you've got the tire off.
If your drum brakes are worn to the point that you've got a ridge on the inside of the drum then you'll have to adjust the shooes to clear the ridge.
Mines a D35, so it may be different, but there should be some rubber plugs on the inside of the brake backer. Mine are on the bottom. You need to go to the parts store and get a brake adjuster tool, it looks like a bent screwdriver. You put the tool in and turn the star wheel inside the brake drum. I can't remember which way, but spin the drum after you turn the wheel. If it doesn't spin you've gone the wrong way. Keep cranking on the adjuster until you can get the drum off. It's a good thing to pay attention to how much you needed to undo it, as you'll have to adjust the brake shoes back to that position for the automatic adjuster to work properly. DO NOT pry on the drums with a screwdriver or prybar. You will more than likely damage the lip on the drum. I tried that once and learned my lesson. If you have to use force use a dead blow mallet and smack it a few times.
Honestly, if your drums have worn to have ridges on them I would look at getting them turned, or just replace them.
Here's a link that may be helpful:
http://www.partsource.ca/doityourself/JOM_May2005.asp
It may also be a good idea to pick up a haynes or chiltons manual. They aren't good for any major problems, but for a first timer the pictures are great.

Last edited:
Back