• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Cutting Questions Answered (at least mine)

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I read probably all the posts on cutting fenders, but there were still a few unanswered questions for me. I figured what the heck... I have to cut anyway for the new 33's.... I'll just figure it out as I go. Maybe this will help someone.

The lift is the DPG 5" lift that actually netted 5". The tires are 33 x 12.50. I wanted to cut so that there would be a lip left on the front and rear fenders (like a mini flare). I had no intentions on re-attaching the plastic flares, but I wanted to make it look as clean as possible. Some folks cut to the top of the old plastic flare line, some cut to the top of the ridge that I left on the fender. I didn't need to cut that much.

First thing I discovered was that a Dremmel (while precise) is slow. I went through a dozen wheels on one front fender. Inside the front well, it really looks better without the rubber liner. There is a seam inside that I banged flat with the 3lb like I had read in other posts.

I finally see that a flippin pool noodle really is probably the best solution to keeping crud out of your doors.

Another thing that I missed in my reading was that you are cutting two layers of metal in the rear (even if you don't cut above the pinch welds. It's thick and takes a serious tool (read: Not a Dremmel) I decided to cut up to the welds instead of slicing and folding. I didn't gain as much space that way, but I didn't need that much in the rear. It will also allow me to put some kind of trim or Mastic Tape on there to clean it up.

The front. The very front corner (marked) will be cut and rounded off to match up better with the bumper.

DSC00372.JPG

The rear. Hopefully the trim pieces will be wide enough to cover the half holes.

DSC00375.JPG

Here you can see the flared out part of the fenders that I left. The 33's shouldn't rub at all. If they do... the hockey pucks are standing by.

DSC00381.JPG

instead of a dremel, my tool of choice was a pneumatic cut off tool. I made fast work (30 min) of the front fenders and they came out very clean and very easy

You will probably find out you will need more trimming in the front. I have figured out with my setup that it would be perfect to trim to the jutted out line on the body but I haven't yet----------Kyle

If you have access to air tools, a die grinder with a cut off wheel works well for the front fenders. At least it did for me, a 3" reinforced wheel last for one and a half fenders. For the back, the cut every inch or so with a sawsall or scrollsaw and bend with a hammer worked. A little flat black trim and it looks rather clean.

Even with all that trimming you will still probably need at least one or two hockey puck bumpstops. My 4.5" lift I am running 3 hockey pucks and I have cut fenders.

Dam just take the tire and lift it up to the fender and draw an outline of it, then cut with a jigsaw and be done with it, its a perfect match for the tire

Back