• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ front end bounce

97fordrunner

NAXJA Forum User
4.0L auto, 4x4- Hey all, I was noticing some excessive bounce in the front end after going over a few bumps on the highway so I went to O'Reillys and got their cheap HD shocks for the front (chapies cause I plan on lifting in the spring) and installed, Drove to work the next day and hit a bump close to home and the front end bounced really wildly like two basketballs being dribbled, Took those shocks back and upgraded to a mid line Monroe shock and am still getting some of the same problem, not quite as frequent but still annoying, I jacked the front end up and checked ball joins and TREs and all are pretty tight. I don't seem to be getting any clunking from bushings but cant jack entire front end up high enough to let suspension sag to be able to check for loose suspension bushings. Could they be a cause anyways? or does this just seem like I need even better shocks? Or just say piss on it and lift it right now? :wierd:

:laugh2: I dunno if its quite as bad as running like that but it feels like it when it does hit a lip going onto a bridge and the front end bounces, funny thing is that the steering doesn't get squirrly at all just the suspension

Was it not like this for x amount of time and is now excessively different? Did it not coincide with any previous shock or spring changes?

I have never heard of anything besides shocks and coils effecting road bounce. Assuming it is bounce and not sway. When you get your new coils and permanent shocks, you should start from there, I guess.

anything that's worn in the suspension that affects the toe/camber or caster of the tires can cause the death wobble.

Check all your steering stuff, the balljoints, wheel bearings and the control arm bushings. I'll bet you'll find some of them are worn, and sometimes you can't pinpoint it to a specific thing, it's a cumulative effect of lots of stuff being end of life.,

Back