• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock XJ Fuel mileage '96-01

Rooster.tail

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings,

I'm finally getting my hands on an XJ. I've been wanting one for quite some time. I'm a family man now and I am ditching the Ramcharger for a more suitable all-purpose vehicle.

I'll be looking for a '96-ish - '01 XJ Sport with the 4.0L/automatic combo. Preferably with the part-time NP231 T-case and an 8.25" rear.

What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting/what should I expect from similar rigs in stock form?

I'd like to see 20+mpg on the freeway (that is until it gets modified) and that seems like a reasonable number to expect for one that is stock and in excellent running condition.

Thanks in advance

You will not see 20+ unless you are going down hill with a tail wind...

My 98 got 18+ on the highway and 15ish in town. With the lift in, I get 12+ in town and 15 on the road. Whay the drop? Take a brick wall (another description for the aerodynamics of an XJ) ahd then make it a bigger brick wall. More wind resistance, less mileage.

That being said, the Boostec Supercharged XJ (2wd, stock otherwise) gets a staggering 24mpg on the road. In town sucks due to "lead-footitis". A strange ailment that takes over everyone who drives the thing...

My 99 4.0 w/ AX-15 (I know you said auto, but just thought I'd mention) gets 19mpg around town and ~22 on the highway. I've made better mileage, but that's the overall average.

I was around 15 in town and 18 on the freeway with stock height and 30x9.5 tires.

Funny thing is that it now has a 4" lift and 32's with stock gears it's the same.

I got just under 21mpg in mine at reasonable highway speeds: All stock '00, 4.0, 4WD, Auto, 225-75-15ATs on steel rims.

My stock 96 can hit 24 highway only, if I stick to 65mph and baby the throttle. Realistically, it averages 16 hwy and city when the lead foot is applied.

You will not see 20+ unless you are going down hill with a tail wind...

Not true at all.

You've got problems if that's what it takes for you to get over 20mpg's on the highway.

I had a 2000 4.0 auto and I didn't have any problem averaging 21 on the highway on a bad day and 23 on a good day, and that's with plenty of hills. If you keep the 4.0 clean and tuned up, along with your tires and tire pressure, you won't have any problem breaking 20mpg highway :cheers:

Not true at all.

You've got problems if that's what it takes for you to get over 20mpg's on the highway.

I had a 2000 4.0 auto and I didn't have any problem averaging 21 on the highway on a bad day and 23 on a good day, and that's with plenty of hills. If you keep the 4.0 clean and tuned up, along with your tires and tire pressure, you won't have any problem breaking 20mpg highway :cheers:

I'm gonna call BS on that one. Best I ever had in my 96 was 17.5. And I drove it real nice and easy. 60 mph max, I was really trying. I am also the most anal retentive individual when it comes to 10k tune ups, tire pressure once a week with a +/- 1psi gauge. Synthetics in the diffs, super clean motor, all done right. I just think some XJ's just do better than others.. Compression, break in period, I dunno. I had a 87 4.0l 5 speed (pukegoat) that would and I shit you not, get 26 mpg on 31's. And that was without odometer adjustment for the extra tire diameter.

I'm gonna call BS on that one. Best I ever had in my 96 was 17.5. And I drove it real nice and easy. 60 mph max, I was really trying. I am also the most anal retentive individual when it comes to 10k tune ups, tire pressure once a week with a +/- 1psi gauge. Synthetics in the diffs, super clean motor, all done right. I just think some XJ's just do better than others.. Compression, break in period, I dunno. I had a 87 4.0l 5 speed (pukegoat) that would and I shit you not, get 26 mpg on 31's. And that was without odometer adjustment for the extra tire diameter.

There was obviously something wrong with your 96 then.

It sounds kinda funny that you're calling BS on saying that a stock XJ *should* be getting 20mpg highway, then saying that you had one on 31's that was getting 26 uncorrected, which would be close to 29 mpg corrected for 31's. Lol, riiiight :rolleyes:

In my Renix, stock height or lifted 3" with 235/75's Highway average was 22. Haven't driven it enough yet with my 31's to know.

There was obviously something wrong with your 96 then.

It sounds kinda funny that you're calling BS on saying that a stock XJ *should* be getting 20mpg highway, then saying that you had one on 31's that was getting 26 uncorrected, which would be close to 29 mpg corrected for 31's. Lol, riiiight :rolleyes:

Yeah, there was a lot wrong with it, it was a 96. And as for the 29mpg corrected, that was an 87 renix. LOL? So his question was about 96-01, thats why i distinguished the difference.
Just gotta tell you, I've got plenty of friends that have no idea how to calculate the actual mileage they receive.
The BS I'm calling is that theres something wrong with his auto 2000 XJ if hes not getting 20+ mpgs on the highway.. Thats just BS.

And I'm fing sorry, if you're getting over 20 mpg with a lift on a 96+ XJ, theres something wrong with it. Its a freak of nature and you should be REAL happy. Take a look at how you're calculating your mileage, and stop rounding up.

I get ~20, maybe a bit more, most of the time with my 99 4.0/5-speed, box stock, with 235/75 tires. That's general driving here in Vermont, plenty of hills, not a lot of high speed, but also very little city driving. Tires will make some difference. I got better mileage on the 225/75 Michelins that were on it when I got it, perhaps partly because they were hard and had little tread on them. Cruising the interstates with little load and nothing on the roof, and without AC, it gets up into the mid-20''s, but rarely better, and with bikes and crap on it, or if I keep the hammer down, it stays around 19 or 20.

I've been driving my 96 4.0, 5 speed 2 wd for about 500,000 miles and mileage has always been pretty steady at 20 mpg, and I don't have a light foot.

Yes, it's 2 wheel drive, but it's driven over something few Jeeps ever will... a half million miles of road!

99 4.0L/AW4/242, 228K. 235/75/16 kumho solus kr21. getting 19 mpg with about 90% highway at 65-70. seems to be a little worse in the winter with whatever crap they mix in the fuel then.

I have a 150k + 06 cherokee sport, 4.0/aw4, 3" lift, and it gets 21-22 mpg highway easy on stock size tires off an 04 cherokee

Interesting since the XJ was discontinued in 2001?

Back