• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Hack n tap

grolla42

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the cheapest place in colorado or online to get a hack and tap slip yoke for a 242 tcase? I dont have that much dough for a new 231 but am ardently looking around to get rid of my bad vibes. Thanks

Sorry , I went with a true SYE kit , the shop that did mine showed me how many bad
taps they had laying around the garage and I made a judgement decision right there .
The true SYE shafts are just made so much better .

What year? how much lift?

You could possibly get by with a T-case drop to get rid of vibes.

There is no full SYE kit for the 242 is there?

no tcase dropping,
no point in lifting a rig to lower parts that snag lol

Quoted for truth. I have a bent up x-member and two stripped mounting holes to prove this. (i've got 5" lift with 1" tcase drop)

Do it once, do it right. Gotta pay to play. Just wish I had listened to everyone before I did the drop. :doh:

Quoted for truth. I have a bent up x-member and two stripped mounting holes to prove this. (i've got 5" lift with 1" tcase drop)

Do it once, do it right. Gotta pay to play. Just wish I had listened to everyone before I did the drop. :doh:

I have had a 1" drop for 3+ years and have had no problems, 4.5" lift and 33's. It all depends on how you drive it.........................I did put a nice dent in the skid after 1st trip to Spring Creek last year and replaced with, "GOD forbid", a Rusty's 1" drop skid but still works fine. Do what you can afford to do. Armor and lockers are more important.

Last edited:
My rig has a 4" lift on 31s with a tcase drop kit. The hack and tap is the only solution to a 242. For a more clear picture, one day I was drivin on the highway when my tcase literally cracked in half. I put in a newish one from a junkyard but now I get a bad vibe from the front of the jeep at around 35mph. I'm running out of solutions and just need some more imput

You should not be having this much trouble with an '88...unless someone installed a low pinion axle up front.

Did the front driveshaft happen to come apart while you were working on the T-case?

Is there any side to side play at either output yoke?

Hmm if the vibes are coming from the front that doesn't mean that it has to do with the rear driveline. Sounds like something is up with possibly the driveshaft or front axle. Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the front drive shaft was messed up at the time when the tcase cracked. The ball joint was completely warped and shavings of metal were everywhere. I havnt really checked but there may be some side to side play at the yoke cause now my rear axle pinion is leaking at what I think is the seal

I would say find out what is making the vibes. Could be the front pinion angle.

I have some time today and wouldn't mind lookin at it for ya.

Alright well went and took a look at his jeep and found that the tre's need to be replaced and the track bar bracket is loose. Lift blocks in the rear with no taper for pinion angle. He said he had no drive line vibes.

Oh It has death wobble not vibes.

Back