• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using 97+ windoshield Gasket in '88?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay kids, this is a quick one. I think I remember hearing that you can use a new windshield gasket in an old XJ. Now, does the new one use the old style of gasket, a simple rubber ring that goes around the windshield, instead of that sealent junk that new windsheilds use?

Anything else that needs to be done to prep for this? I might be doing this about 700 miles from home, so I should know all I can!

Sequoia

I used the new style gasket when I replaced the windshield on my '87. The installer had me grind off the tabs that hold the aluminum trim to create clearance to install the new gasket. When we were done it looked like we could have left them in place, but this made the opening the same as on the newer models. The tabs are actually rivets that are set into the sheet metal so they can pull out and leave a hole in the body. In that case make sure that you fill it back in so you don't get a leak in that area. Other than that the installation was the same as any late model windshield.

I like the rubber gasket because it let me get rid of the aluminum trim which never fit tight and always rattled, so it's a lot quieter now.

Back