• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metal windshield trim

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So, I had a rather frightening experience today. The top piece of my windshield trim came loose on the passenger side at about 70MPH+30 MPH headwind. Sounded like I had my head in a trashcan and someone was beating on it with a stick. I've looked at it and I can't figure out how to get it back onto it's little clips. Can comeone give me an idea of how it's supposed to work, and a desription or picture of the clip in the windshield frame. I think maybe the clip is broken. I may just RTV the sucker down.

They should just push on for the most part. If it came off, I wouldn't be surprised if one of your clips is broken. A windshield repair place should be able to hook you up with some new clips. Sorry, I don't have a pic or a diagram of it. To remove the strips, you need to slide a putty knife or similar tool under the edge and push on the clips. They should give a little and free their grasp of the trim.

yeah, I think the clip is broken. I'll see if I can't get some new ones. I'll prolly just tape it down for the moment.

Chancer said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42581

This link shows you the shape of the clip retainer for the windshield trim. It comes out if you use some sort of bent hook at about a 90 degree angle - you just push it in along one short edge and it springs back, releasing the trim. To put the trim back it should be a matter of clicking it back in.
Thanks for that link!
I guess I didn't go back far enough in my search.

Back