• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
i just pulled all the carpet out of my XJ and i fout more rust than floor
and i broke the studs for the seat brackets and have to replace a good portion of the floor......
but
i took off the rear shackles and put chevy shackles on to gain some minut lift and it took an hour tops (had a long lunch break in that hour too) the bottom of the truck has little to no problem with rust or loosing bolts but inside has a major issue with rust

does anyone know why this is???
and what thickness metal should i use for the floor ??

should i paint the floor when i am done or line it with a bedliner??

stock is 18gauge i think so anything down would be good im putting 16guage patches in my floor. im gonna then herculine the entire interior then go underneath and roll herculinar where ever i did a patch to keep moisture out

the most obvious reason i can think of for this is moisture being held in by the carpeting causing the floor to rust.
I would bedline the whole thing when you're done patching...inside and out.
HTH

this jeep is a mess in side but uni-boy "frame" is still solid and strong what prep would i have to do before attempting to fix the floor??
and were can i find new vac lines for my 4x4 i think 1 may be broke

1- The rust may be caused by the clogged air conditioner drain lline. THey are bad about clogging and running into the floor. (Wet Carpet + Long Time = Rust)

2- If the vacuum line for the front axle is just broken in two, you can temporarily patch it with a piece of shrink wrap wire insulator in the correct size. But if you are looking for new vacuum lines for the engine, Jeep sells a kit that replaces all of the ones under the hood. I got the kit last year after trying to piece and patch up bad lines. It was worth it!!

The dealership had them here... I'm pretty sure. It was actually at a mechanic friends shop at the time we got the vac line kit. He picked them up. I'll make sure it was from the dealership. The only other place he would have gotten them would be NAPA.

Back