• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee ignition switch wiring

JustinTurney

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have a diagram for the ignition switch wiring on a 1990 Cherokee? I recently replaced the switch because one of the wires shorted out and I believe the the wire is ruined and is the cause for my jeep starting and then dying when the key is relased from the start position to the "run" position. Any help with what each wire does and which colors correspond to them would be a huge help. Also any other sugestions to what may be the reason for why the jeep starts and then dies right away would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.

A faulty ballast resistor will cause the start and die symptom. I am not sure if the '90 has one but if so, it is the large white ceramic unit mounted on the driver side inner fender with two wires leading to it. It is switched into the fuel pump circuit after the engine starts to quiet the fuel pump by reducing the voltage to the pump.

If you have the resistor, bypass it by connecting the two wires together and see if your Jeep continues to run after the key is released. Let us know what you find.

A faulty ballast resistor will cause the start and die symptom. I am not sure if the '90 has one but if so, it is the large white ceramic unit mounted on the driver side inner fender with two wires leading to it. It is switched into the fuel pump circuit after the engine starts to quiet the fuel pump by reducing the voltage to the pump.

If you have the resistor, bypass it by connecting the two wires together and see if your Jeep continues to run after the key is released. Let us know what you find.

Yes, a 90 has the resistor.

If it's like my 89 there is an adjustment to position the switch, it slides up or down on top of the column and that could be out of proper range. (?)

b5blue likely has it. The range of adjustment for the switch is so small that I'm sure many people (as I did initially with mine) don't see how it could make a difference. Certainly worth a try.

Back