• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q on new Battery cables

sflasal

NAXJA Forum User
A while back I ordered new cables for my XJ from 5-90. I finally got around to putting them on and I have a question.

The OEM positive cable that comes of the bat and goes to the main box under the hood had a connection for attaching to 2 bolts on the front of the box. My 5-90s only have a single mount point. Am I OK just using the one or do I need both connected?

sflasal

PM 5-90 im sure he could tell you. They are his cables afterall. Jons always on so you should get a response in no time.

swbooking said:
PM 5-90 im sure he could tell you. They are his cables afterall. Jons always on so you should get a response in no time.

Posted this then went off to send him a PM

I need to run the Jeep tomorrow so I'm just trying to cover all the bases :)

Sal

I have the measurements for that lug, but I haven't been able to find one at an acceptable price. Yet. I'm still looking...

For your situation, I give the same advice I give everyone else with your PDC - cut the lug off of the old cable (takes about thirty seconds with a hacksaw,) put the lug back in place over both studs, and then put the new cable lug overtop of that. The old lug will tie both studs together, so you won't have to worry about it.

I had someone come around recently with one of those cables, and I know I took pictures of what needs doing, but I'll be damned if I can find them. I'd planned on writing up instructions for how to handle a sitiuation like yours for some time now...

But, it's really quite easy to handle - all you need to do is hang on to the flat bit with the two holes in it, and the rest can be scrapped. It's copper - start a copper bin, since electrical copper can be worth a few bucks once you get some together. (I fund quite a few projects with scraps - bottles/cans/elec. copper/plumb. copper/brass/bronze/CRES/circuit boards/...)

a pair of vice grips and bending back and forth works also... thats what i did.

Bench vice + Dremmel tool made quick work of it.

Think I'll keep the wire in the Jeep w/ me and give the scrap copper to the next homeless guy who asks me for some change :flipoff:

Back